Nice Tiny House Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"tiny house vs a 3000+ sq ft house"

I think part of the monster house phenomenon is that adding raw square feet to a structure is/was fairly cheap.
The land price, sewer, water, electric does not change, and the heating system cost does not scale with size.
Framing, sheathing & roofing are the lowest labour costs as well.

If we had a tax on carbon, rather than a tax on labour, it might help. The recent drop in oil gives a perfect opportunity to shift tax from income to carbon, without pain.

I am really wondering what is going to happen with the millions of over sized under built monster houses of the last 10-20 years.
Accessible only by car, expensive to heat or cool, all services or employment opportunities banished by zoning or covenants, mortgaged out the wazoo (in Canada, better in the USA now).
I guess if a large enough fraction of the population/money is in them, we will all end up bailing them out in some way.

If the area remains desirable, they will get torn down and rebuilt like all desirable area's do. If the area does not remain desirable, decent chance of slipping into becomming the new ghetto's. Large cheap houses in undesirable area's tend to fall into poverty's hands.

We've been interested in Tinyhomes for a while. Something movable on a trailer is very interesting but I can't find a single home plan for a 40' gooseneck, which could easily be built up and towed by one of the new diesel trucks - you would need a CDL but could still get it done with a 3500/350 truck. After all, this would be for a family of 4.

Renzo Piano and his Diogene Hut design. About 36 sq ft. A one person retreat center. Diogene Hut

Renzo Piano and his Diogene Hut design. About 36 sq ft. A one person retreat center. Diogene Hut

That looks like a fishing shack.

I lived in a one man tent for six months, but I had a very large outdoor space for 16 hours per day.

One interesting aspect about tiny houses/super huge houses (at least to me it seems) is with Mc mansions they try to go overboard on square footage, and some tiny houses go the opposite way. On either end of the scale, it almost seems to get into the absurd.

We've been interested in Tinyhomes for a while. Something movable on a trailer is very interesting but I can't find a single home plan for a 40' gooseneck, which could easily be built up and towed by one of the new diesel trucks - you would need a CDL but could still get it done with a 3500/350 truck. After all, this would be for a family of 4.
A CDL? I pull 40' goose necks a lot here in Ohio. Just a regular drivers license.

Status
Not open for further replies.