No bricks in wood stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
. Believe it or not steel does not burn or vaporize that easily as we were led to believe on 9-11. You need extreme temperatures to warp and or melt 1/4" plate steel and/or cast iron.

. After 5 months this installed and very thin bottom piece of flashing still has not burned through and this fact still makes me scratch my head repeatedly over 9-11.

So I hope this was helpful and it eases some concerns you have. Fire is not that dangerous after all if you can control its behavior.

The stuff was also in a super hot fire and had jet fuel, or basically kerosene all over everywhere and was way hotter than a tiny wood fire would get?

Do you also think it was an inside job.. bush or trhe CIA planted the explosives and knew about it and then detonated them so that they could kill off thousands more innocent hard working Americans to then help put a downward spiral on the economy??

Wow 5 posts and some good info coming out of here??? 2 pieces of wood to have a wonderful heating fire for 2 hours, and 2" diameter on that??? I must be lied to when they say my CAT stove is 90% efficient? maybe they mean it burns 90% of the wood and I get very little heat...I need to pull my bottom bricks and put in some cast iron pipe, to increase my heat and burn 500% less wood!!

Imagine if those with the blaze king kings pull their brick and load it up with cast pipe, they will really only load the stove once a week!!!!

If bricks insulate and keep the heat in to reduce emissions and send smoke up flue, why would the pipe not do a similar thing?

How long of a burn time can you get with the "device"? Also you say you are heating "areas" with your stove. The area I heat with my EPA stove is my entire house.

Interesting to say the least.
The guy is right about the old barrel stoves.
I had a double barrel stove to heat a huge shop at work and those barrels were still fine after tons of over fires ..you could almost see through the bottom barrel at times.
Man the wood you could put in that thing..lol.
I'm not going to comment farther till I get a good look at his "invention".

Good Morning,
I could have started selling my device 2 years ago if I wanted to.

This is not about selling any device, since I thought I stated that I wanted to save a few trees that are currently growing and still alive on our planet. My advice has been about improving heat transfer and wood stove functions.

Some one stated fire brick determines stove combustible clearances. Please produce the very specific engineering data and research papers supporting your specific claims. Do you have any idea how many wood stove appliances are being sold worldwide and how many types of interior configurations and air flow designs there currently are? Many have no fire brick.

You are trying to convince me that the fire brick installed 1/2 way up the inside of my little quads can and some how would prevent me from over firing this particular wood stove? All wood stoves are a danger when they exceed the normal safe heat levels recommended be the manufacture or that are created and/or generated by over firing. Fire brick is not going to save you on this over firing event and yes you are going to burn down your house if you do it enough times.

I believe that is why they sell thermostats that you can place on the top surface of your stove to prevent such over firings.

EPA does not manufacture wood stoves and I highly doubt they understand most of what is being discussed here. There concern is with air quality and those inversion layers and probably with figuring out why anyone in their right mind would build cities inside valleys that nature can not move the air out of. Several years ago 1400 wild fires raged across California and none of our hospitals were full from people complaining about and or from wood smoke related problems. The wood smoke layer was so thick at Donner you could not see 50 feet in front of you. Wood smoke I am afraid is getting a very bad rap, but if you burn down one of those plastic mini mansions, then people will and are going to gag for weeks. One is a natural process and occurrence and an organic process and one is not and or is a man made eco-disaster.

I guess the EPA is not aware of three recent nuclear core meltdowns that happened in Japan either and that these plants are still now spewing radiation contamination all over the Northern Hemisphere. This radiation contamination pollutant may be invisible, but it is proven that at any quantity of exposure to this man made (unnatural) radiation contamination... it will produce cancer.

So much for clean air since we have trillions of invisible ghosts in the form of radioactive isotopes now entering all of our lungs and landing on our skin surfaces. I guess you won't here this information on any news channel either.

The advice is free and please produce all engineering docs and research papers backing up your fire brick claims.

Who was making the popcorn? pass it around....

Many stoves do not have firebrick, but often they have sacrificial burn plates on their interior instead. One will note that these more radiant stoves often have greater clearance requirements. If once compares clearance requirements for old steel stoves without firebrick it will quickly become evident that they require 36" from the nearest combustible surface, per NFPA, not EPA. Do you have any emissions test results on your stoves when burning without bricks? You are the one making claims so it would seem the burden of proof is in your court.

We have yet to see any engineering docs or actually any info on this "device" claim. Posting this would be helpful to stop speculation.

Reactions: rideau and jotulguy
Wow is all i can say about this guy and his Device!!!

I think i like my home still standing.

How about some nice pictures of what you've designed? I'd be interested to see your layout...

The point I was trying to make was they determine the clearances based on the placement of the bricks. I never mentioned over fire.

Your tiny minds cannot hope to grasp reality that is being obfuscated on the perogative of this impetuosness.

Reactions: Dune and rkshed
Your marketing is bad and you should feel bad.

Is this whole thing a big joke? If this is all so great,, where are the pictures? Around here if there are no pictures it didn't happen!;lol That's like telling us you had the best tasting pie ever,,, but can't show us the pie!

Good morning,
I posted a pretty lengthy response and it somehow did not make it on the board.

Bottom line is, please produce any fire brick engineering papers and or scientific research papers supporting fire bricks used inside any wood stove appliances and its applied and inplied safety purpose.

I will post again when I have time, but the holidays are upon us and it will take some time to reproduce my responses for any questions and/or statements made that took my time earlier today.

The advice I give is for free and you do not have to do anything that I say I have done to improve my stoves.

This thread is not about selling my device since I could have started selling it two years ago. This is about improving heat transfer inside wood stoves to improve and lessen the amount of wood burned in order to achieve our combined heating goals while saving trees.

Could someone please produce exact and very specific list of insurance claims (dollar amounts) made against any wood stove manufacturers, that are specifically making these wood stove manufactures at 100% blame for any fire created that engulfed any homes using such wood stove appliances they specifically manufactured.

When is the consumer ever respsonsible for his own behaviors and/or actions concerning the fires he created all on his own?

Later..

No one said anything about insurance claims against the wood stove mfgs. They are referring to the fact that you have a minimum chance of getting a stove related fire claim honored by any insurance underwriter if the stove is not properly installed and unmodified.

Again, the burden of proof is on you to provide evidence of safety and reduced emissions. Asking someone to provide industry research is just poisoning the well. The ball's in your court to provide meaningful data and pictorial evidence.

OK

Overfiring a wood stove and removing or retaining firebricks are not one and the same. None of us ever intentionally overfire our stoves, and firebricks are not the cause or the prevention of this occurrance. Care in the fires we build and the air we allow our stoves determine the safety of our fires.

Our stoves are remarkably efficient and clean burning. My stove emits under 2 grams per hour, heats an almost 4000 square foot home in a climate whose average burning season temperature is over 40 degrees cooler than yours, and uses under 2 cords a year to do that (good dry hardwood). Show me any proof that you can do better than that.

Reactions: Dune
Good Morning,
I could have started selling my device 2 years ago if I wanted to.

You are trying to convince me that the fire brick installed 1/2 way up the inside of my little quads can and some how would prevent me from over firing this particular wood stove? All wood stoves are a danger when they exceed the normal safe heat levels recommended be the manufacture or that are created and/or generated by over firing. Fire brick is not going to save you on this over firing event and yes you are going to burn down your house if you do it enough times.

The advice is free and please produce all engineering docs and research papers backing up your fire brick claims.

NO ONE is trying to convince YOU of anything.

You came in here to tell US how smart you are, and how dumb, we, and the engineers who make these things, are.If you want to see the engineering documents about anything.. take it up with the stove manufacturers.

Simple as that.

Actually, you are pretty lucky, on several forums I am on, you would have been branded a troll and dismissed summarily after your second post.

BTW, have you thought about hooking up a hairdryer motor to your new add on pipe device so as to burn hotter and faster and totally bypass that pesky cold stove start up time?

OK

Overfiring a wood stove and removing or retaining firebricks are not one and the same. None of us ever intentionally overfire our stoves, and firebricks are not the cause or the prevention of this occurrance. Care in the fires we build and the air we allow our stoves determine the safety of our fires.

Our stoves are remarkably efficient and clean burning. My stove emits under 2 grams per hour, heats an almost 4000 square foot home in a climate whose average burning season temperature is over 40 degrees cooler than yours, and uses under 2 cords a year to do that (good dry hardwood). Show me any proof that you can do better than that.
What make of stove do you have. That efficiency is remarkable in that climate.

Wow we got firebricks, insurance claims, 9/11, and Fukushima mentioned all in a single thread.

Obewan, the basic point is that EPA stoves are already 75 to 90 % efficient at heating. Many stove mfgers publish test results to their websites ... blaze king and Woodstock for example have such docs posted. Feel free to read.

Its physically impossible to double the efficiency of an appliance already at 75%+. The laws of physics are not a conspiracy.

Reactions: clemsonfor
Maybe the AboveTopSecret forums weren't working for him today? :)

Wow we got firebricks, insurance claims, 9/11, and Fukushima mentioned all in a single thread.

Obewan, the basic point is that EPA stoves are already 75 to 90 % efficient at heating. Many stove mfgers publish test results to their websites ... blaze king and Woodstock for example have such docs posted. Feel free to read.

Its physically impossible to double the efficiency of an appliance already at 75%+. The laws of physics are not a conspiracy.

Meanwhile, while we are all anxiously awaiting his engineering documentation, back at the OP ranch, I had renters once who took the light bulbs when they left. Nothing would surprise me.

Well I am back and yes the burden of proof is on those that claim such facts..not me. All I can tell you is that I have found no research backing any fire brick installation claims on the world wide web. If these research papers exist then they must be a secret.

Now for my advice there is no need to use it, but and then I have been burning these three stoves now for many years and yes I have improved the amount of heat coming from each one based on my above comments.

If someone is burning a stove model out here that emits only 2 grams per hour and is at what is claimed to be operating at a 90% efficiency rate and in temperatures 40 degrees cooler than my temperature or at ZERO degrees, then by all means share this model of stove with us and then insist that this stove be the only permissible stove to be sold inside this county.

My device and advice is for the millions of wood burners out here using the older technology wood stoves and who are not able to afford and/or upgrade their wood stove appliances to this one stove mentioned above.

It is what it is and if you still think 6 trillion disappeared from the government tax trough over the last 10 years because of a few box cutters...goood luuck!

I have been about as entertained by this thread as I care to be. The OP's stove was designed with bricks. He needs bricks in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.