No damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SmokinJo88

Oct 27, 2021
Central Wisconsin
I have a 2010 hearthstone soapstone stove that has no stovepipe damper. All of my experience with wood stoves while limited have always included a damper. My question is is this common with the brand or “newer” style of stoves? Or am I just blowing btu’s up the chimney and need to install one next chance??

A stovepipe damper on a modern stove is unnecessary unless the draft is strong. How tall is the flue system on this stove?

I would say from the top of the stove to the top of the chimney is roughly 11-12ft with a 90’ through the cement wall about 4’ off the top of the stove.
At that height I am sure you won't need one

Agreed. I'm surprised the stove is burning well with that short chimney + 90º turns.

Reactions: woodey and moresnow
I think I will be fine as it is. We have been burning through the shoulder season just a couple of logs at a fill after starting the fire top down with a bit more. I guess out of naivety I didn’t think the small lower lever would hold that much of bearing on the dampening and heat output. Today it dropped in the mid 20’s and I was determined to slow the burn and push the heat into the room. I loaded the firebox half full on a hot bed of coals and closed the lever and couldn’t believe the heat it threw. Thanks for your responses and putting up with a wood burning rookie!