No draft...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Urbbru

Sep 1, 2018
Ste-Adele
Hello,

I want to know if it's normal, at this time of the year that i have nearly zero draft in my cheminey. I preheat it with a heatgun, nothing...

Thanks !

What's the temperature outside?

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

I just looked up your weather. If my search was correct, your temp is 66 degrees. Not sure why you we need a fire, but if you wanted to have one, draft would expected to be bad at thAt temp. You’re in Canada correct?

Yes im from Canada. I just want to test the draft because i just sweep the chiminey.
You wont have much if any. There just isnt enough temperature differential

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I liked the above post because it is a witty answer and I'd agree, but how does one explain that theory in relation to a stove with a fresh air intake?

I liked the above post because it is a witty answer and I'd agree, but how does one explain that theory in relation to a stove with a fresh air intake?
You still have a temperature differential between inside and out. That creates a pressure differential and therefore draft. There are times an oak can cool a stove enough that it make it harder to start. But when its cold out it is fairly easy to get enough heat to get it started. When its warm out it is much harder.

The hot air rushes up the chimney into the cooler outside either way.

Now the house is at negative pressure, so air is drawn in.

With an OAK, the path of least resistance is for air to flow in through the OAK, so that's where most of it comes from.

Without an OAK, the air comes through whatever other paths to the outside there are. For example, if you have a bad window in one room, that room will be colder when the stove is burning because more air is going up the flue, and more makeup air is coming in through the bad window.

If for testing, i would try the coldest part of the day - 1 hour to 30 minutes before sunrise.

No need to test the draft after a cleaning. It'll be the same as last winter.

Would putting a small space heater inside the stove for a few minutes get the whole works up to temp?

No need to test the draft after a cleaning. It'll be the same as last winter.
unless it was SUPER bad and clogged. then it will be better than last year :)

Would putting a small space heater inside the stove for a few minutes get the whole works up to temp?

For a few minutes, no. For long enough to warm the entire chimney, yeah, should work.

For a few minutes, no. For long enough to warm the entire chimney, yeah, should work.
Yes but even once you get a draft established with higher outside temps the draft will not be that great.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick