No expertise needed - Tell me what you wish you could tell your heater/power equipment supply store!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oct 13, 2022
Alaska
I just got a job at a local business that sells wood stoves, gas stoves, pellet stoves, fireplaces, grills and outdoor power equipment like chainsaws, snow blowers and lawnmowers. They also do installs and service/repairs, but I think I'll be mostly "front counter/sales" to start.

So, since we all care enough to be on a forum about our stoves... Does anyone have a story or advice for me as a new sales rep?! What do you love/hate about your local stove/ power equipment supply stores? What is your favorite employee like? Your least favorite?
How can I make your day?!

What I love about that store is I have never gotten bad advice there. I suggest you hang on every word that comes out of the mouths of probably Kent and Cheryl and Clint while you are learning the ropes. When you are sure you know the answer to something, answer the customer's question. When you aren't sure, say something like, "I am pretty new, I think it kind of depends on (whatever) , but let me find someone who knows for sure. And then listen to the answer from the senior staff so you will know the answer next time.

What I love about the Fairbanks area BK dealer is I have never gotten bad advice there. On price/ quality/ service they are providing quality and service and I am willing to pay for it. If you are outside of Fairbanks at a similar store my advice doesn't change, but Kent and Cheryl and Clint are probably not the ones running the show.

"I don't have that in stock, but we have six on backorder from the supplier" is a good answer. "Would you like to reserve one of the ones I have on backorder?" is fabulous.

Pick one thing and learn as much as you can about it. I don't expect one person to know everything but if you can become the knowledgeable person in a certain group of items you'll be valuable.

If you don’t know the answer don’t be afraid to tell the customer that. There’s no shame in not knowing, they don’t know the answer either. We all started at zero knowledge. Know who to ask for the answer. Remember the answer so you don’t ask twice.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Be honest, do the best for the customer. Hopefully it's the best for the company.

This goes back to the late 70's, early 80's but still relevant today. A good school friend was always good with people and people skills, he was a natural. He decided to pursue a career in sales. His first job while still in high school was selling home and car stereo equipment (big in the 70's/80's). He treated every customer like they were best friends even meeting them for the first time. He didnt come off as a salesman, rather someone who was interested in the same products the people came in to purchase. He'd say, "hey, let me show you this new kick a$$ system that just came in. Its probably out of you price range but you have to see it". He made tons of friends with the young customers in the process. That was just who he was, and word of mouth kept his sales and bonuses coming. After only his second month as a salesman and still in high school, he was the top salesman every month only working part time weekends and evenings. After high school he attended vo-tech school in the sales program. He eventually moved on from his first sales position and retired young after a successful working career. The lesson learned from him is be honest and treat people with respect. Word of mouth is massive and beats any advertising campaign ever invented. Regardless of what products you are selling, as long as the product is quality to begin with. When your trying to sell junk, and people figure it out after plopping down hard earned $$, that work of mouth will destroy you. Best of luck!

Start learning all you can about the products carried. Listen to the customer and understand their needs. Try to be objective, honest, and not a fanboy. Don't go low and diss the competition. That's a real turnoff.

Reactions: EbS-P
Never presume to know someone’s purchasing ability. Honestly suggest the best product for them and let them decide if they are financially capable of making the purchase.

Reactions: Hoytman
Learn from your customers; many coming in won't know anything. But there are many customers who know a ton about the products you sell, but they USE daily. Once you figure out a customer is using a product a lot, ask them for their advice, what they like most and least about the products - because you want to learn and be able to give the right advice to others.

Regarding wood stoves, don't ever sell one without emphasizing the need for dry wood. Explain the customer WILL be disappointed if they are going to run the stove with wood that's too wet.

Watch out for exaggerated marketing claims. We see this in some stoves for the area heated, max BTU output, firebox size, etc. These claims confuse people and sometimes cause them to select an undersized stove.
Also, any lawn tool that brags it has a BlueTooth connection is fluff.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
I could see one of those automated lawnmowers being Bluetooth. The programming can’t be too different than an automated vacuum that zooms around the floor.

Your inventory covers a really wide range. Get a tablet (pulling your phone out all the time looks bad and can be interpreted as you checking out) and a way to organize all the the manuals for everything on the tablet. yeah it sounds like a lot but but I imagine there would be enough down time to in the first month or two to get it all organized in one place.

Each month pick a new category and read up. Make a list of questions to ask those that have been there longer. Ask lots of questions to those that have more experience with the products.

In short know your inventory really really well. Customers might come in for a stove and back for a saw or grill.

For larger sales create a customer contact card on the tablet and check in with a quick call or text or email.

You can’t earn everything in a day but everyday learn something.

I could see one of those automated lawnmowers being Bluetooth. The programming can’t be too different than an automated vacuum that zooms around the floor.
It's still fluff and a marketing feature unless you can program the mower to go out and mow the lawn at 3 pm while you are at the office. Our lawn tractor has BlueTooth and all the app tells you are the hours run which is also right on the dash. The rest is basic service reminders which are all in the manual. That and a lot of marketing stuff and upselling.

Circular lawn. Post in the middle. Rope between self-propelled lawnmower and post, run it, clamp the propelling handle, sit nearby (keeping an eye on an unstoppable mower...), and have a beverage.

A rope. The redneck Bluetooth.

Reactions: ispinwool
Know that some of us just really dislike salesmen. It’s not personal. We’re sometimes forced to buy things at brick and mortar shops. Look for that and back off. If we need something we’ll find you for a very brief and easy sale.

Take every question you get that you do not know the answer for as a learning opportunity. Research question to the n'th degree. Do not bull S%$# any one, if you dont know say you dont know but you will find out. Return calls ASAP and give the best customer service/ experience you can. This is an amazing industry that can turn into a real career.

1. The most important thing is the easiest, simply call people back and follow-up on your inquiries obligations. It seems 90% of the service or custom sales companies with which I work lose customers due to this very simple thing.

2. Start learning about your products, so you can answer most questions.

3. Learn to say, "I don't know, let me look at that up and get back to you," when asked a question you don't know. Then do it. Don't give an answer you just made up, because it's what you think the customer wants to hear. With everything online these days, customers asking detailed technical questions likely already know enough about the product to smell a bullchit answer (or learn soon after), whether they let you know that or not.

4. Be the customer's advocate, when the manufacturer or your service department screws them. It will happen, sooner if not later, and whether by accident or intention.

Take every question you get that you do not know the answer for as a learning opportunity. Research question to the n'th degree. Do not bull S%$# any one, if you dont know say you dont know but you will find out. Return calls ASAP and give the best customer service/ experience you can. This is an amazing industry that can turn into a real career.
Hey hey MSG! Welcome back. It's good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Hey hey MSG! Welcome back. It's good to hear from you. Hope all is well.
Begreen! Still at it I see. Lots has happened since 2006 LOL. I now have my own retail store. I stumbled back here after searching for a solution that I happened to answer many moons ago lol. Good ole google.

Reactions: Highbeam
Congratulations, that's great. Does your shop have an online presence?

We lost a PE and Hearthstone expert when Tom Oyen passed. I'm sure you are very busy, but any insight is much appreciated, especially for the new Hearthstone hybrid family. Are you still burning in the Mansfield?

Congratulations, that's great. Does your shop have an online presence?

We lost a PE and Hearthstone expert when Tom Oyen passed. I'm sure you are very busy, but any insight is much appreciated, especially for the new Hearthstone hybrid family. Are you still burning in the Mansfield?
I hope to be hanging out more and keeping a pulse on the current questions coming through. Mansfield is still burning strong. Hearthstone and Mendota is pretty much all I am selling out of the brick and mortar location, no online presence. We do PE now and again when a tax credit doesn't make sense. 99% of the time the issues with these new hybrids is stack. Not much heat left for draft when you hit these efficiency numbers. Looking forward to pitching in!

Reactions: Ashful
Cool, that confirms what we have been hearing from users. Glad to see you back.

Sorry I'm late, I've been too busy working and digging the last few things out of the snow before it gets any deeper.
Thank you to everyone for the advice! I did get a chance to read it all before I started the job.

begreen, I thought of your advice in particular when I felt like "trashing" competition, and I bit my tongue. Even though the company did really burn me once, the customer doesn't need to hear my opinion :).

Ashful, you're totally right about returning phone calls. We're owner-building our house, and the first contractor to get back to me usually gets the job because the second and third guys made me wait a week.

stoveliker, I made sure to ask my customer about his equipment while we waited for help from someone more knowledgeable. I have not been emphasizing dry wood (my brain is so full trying to memorize everything else), but I'll add that to my routine!

MSG - Do you mean that people put the hybrids under stacks that are too tall or cold or something? Can you add a fresh air intake in that case? Or am I totally not understanding what you two were talking about?

Pointdexter, stop by and say hello :) !

Reactions: stoveliker
A stack = the flue system. Word is that the new hybrid Hearthstones need decent draft. They don't perform well on short stacks and weak draft situations. If the issue is negative pressure, then sometimes connecting outside air to the stove will help. It depends on the cause of the negative pressure and the degree. Sometimes curing negative pressure in a basement install requires an ERV/HRV installed to equalize pressure because an OAK can not be connected due to the nearest intake location being above the stove.