No idea what to do now :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

enigmablaze

Oct 30, 2015
illinois
Well our rookie season is showing our inexperience. We finally got everything arranged to have a stove install scheduled at the end of september, picked up our stove etc. We knew we needed to find someone with dry wood so my husband called a number advertising firewood. The kid was super nice and went out and got a moisture meter that day to test his wood, said it was coming in around 10% for splits and he even cut the wood down to 10" long pieces for our little stove size (Morso 1440).

So he brings it, even though we had told him to please FRESHLY split a piece and test the new side he had done it wrong and the wood was anywhere from mid 20's to high 30's I believe. He took 70$ off the price and we decided to take the cord anyway (it's all oak I think, not debarked but split). Then after he leaves and we look at the stack, we are nowhere NEAR a cord, probably just barely over a half cord. He says he measure his cords by "pieces" so he doesn't have to worry about dimensions. Obviously we were expecting a cord and he very nicely said he would come and take it back.

So today we were supposed to take delivery of a cord by the "best" place around here that our sweep suggested etc. We talked to them on the phone, they were confident their wood would be right for us but would not test it themselves. So a cord of wood comes to our house and when my husband splits and tests it most is in the mid 30's with one piece of a different species testing 18%, but there was not much of that wood in there.

We still have the original delivery of too-wet oak cut down so we refused this one for now. I'm not sure if we should keep the original delivery (it turned out to be $180 after his discount for what is about a half cord). I am beginning to doubt we will find anyone with dry wood and wondering if we cannot even burn this winter. :(

We also don't want a bunch of wood from a bunch of different places because we live in the city and do not want to increase the risk of introducing ticks to our yard, we also have a very small back yard in which to store it .

Last edited:
Says you joined this site in 2015... no pitty from me.

If you're going to be using the stove as a primary heat source ,and you absolutely have to burn this year, you might try bio bricks for this burn season and then keep the wood you already have and stack it in a sunny area of your backyard till at least next year (2 years if it is oak). This way you will know for sure your wood is dry enough to burn and not have to rely on the sellers word that it is dry.
You can then take you're time scouting out new wood suppliers that actually have "seasoned" wood ready to burn.

If you're going to be using the stove as a primary heat source ,and you absolutely have to burn this year, you might try bio bricks for this burn season and then keep the wood you already have and stack it in a sunny area of your backyard till at least next year (2 years if it is oak). This way you will know for sure your wood is dry enough to burn and not have to rely on the sellers word that it is dry.
You can then take you're time scouting out new wood suppliers that actually have "seasoned" wood ready to burn.
Oh my goodness, this is sheer genius, the bio bricks had not even crossed my mind! Is there a good national place to buy them from (I have looked locally and all I can find is a non-brand from menards?)

Can all wood stoves handle the bio bricks or do I need to contact Morso to check? It is not rated for coal, not sure if that makes any difference...

Just split it real small and mix with biobricks, no substitute for experience. Most of us were all rookies once, some folks give up too early and that is how we get deals on barely used stoves ;).

Just split it real small and mix with biobricks, no substitute for experience. Most of us were all rookies once, some folks give up too early and that is how we get deals on barely used stoves ;).
Hopefully we will not fall into that category :)

I did find that the bricks sold at Menards are "EcoBricks" and our Morso 1440's manual says...
"For use with solid wood fuel only. Do not overfire, if heater or chimney connector glows you are overfilling...Do not use chemicals or fluids to start the fire. Do not burn garbage or flammable fluids. Do not use gasoline, gasoline-type lantern fuel, kerosene, charcoal lighter or fluid or similar liquids to start or freshen up a fire in this heater. Keep all such liquids away from the heater while it is in use.

Choosing your fuel
All types of natural wood can be burned on your stove, but they must be well-seasoned and dry. Once the wood is cut to length, it should be split down middle - to suit the dimensions given below - to allow moisture to evaporate. "

This sounds to me like it can take the bricks, as long as they are 100% wood? I have been reading you just need to be more careful not to overfire.

Hopefully we will not fall into that category :)

I did find that the bricks sold at Menards are "EcoBricks" and our Morso 1440's manual says...
"For use with solid wood fuel only. Do not overfire, if heater or chimney connector glows you are overfilling...Do not use chemicals or fluids to start the fire. Do not burn garbage or flammable fluids. Do not use gasoline, gasoline-type lantern fuel, kerosene, charcoal lighter or fluid or similar liquids to start or freshen up a fire in this heater. Keep all such liquids away from the heater while it is in use.

Choosing your fuel
All types of natural wood can be burned on your stove, but they must be well-seasoned and dry. Once the wood is cut to length, it should be split down middle - to suit the dimensions given below - to allow moisture to evaporate. "

This sounds to me like it can take the bricks, as long as they are 100% wood? I have been reading you just need to be more careful not to overfire.
The bricks are designed for wood stoves, and many here have used them. If you have some type of warranty, you may want to check with the manufacturer just to ensure you don't void it - but it should be just fine. You may also look into lumber cut offs and pallet wood to mix with your wet wood to get through the first year.

Understanding you have limited space, try to get next year's wood asap so it has time to dry. If you can seek out faster drying species such as ash and maple, you might get away with shorter seasoning time.

You're in IL, so you should have plenty of ash trees in the area. Call your local tree service and tell them that the next time they take down a dead ash, you will take the wood. It will be pretty well seasoned, if it's been dead a while.

Reactions: saydinli
Technically, it takes two years to get two years ahead on the firewood pile.....
Unfortunately my husband really doesn't have the time to cut his own wood, as much as I know he would like to. We are pretty much dependent on buying it and we weren't sure after trying a few years if the stove would actually happen this year. Happily it did finally come together but the wood has been a fiasco, I assumed the highly recommended fancy pants place at least would have had dried wood for us but alas, apparently you cannot buy it here.

We are a pretty classic urban situation, very little room for storing...the ecobricks are super interesting to me (especially regarding no BUGS) at least for this year, I'm just trying to find out if it will void the Morso's warranty (thank you, pernox), cannot find anything online so far and haven't heard back from the dealer.

I'd try the compressed bricks. Just don't stuff it full and let er rip until you've got a feel for how they burn.

Reactions: gerry100
It can be a real drag to find an honest seller. A cord of wood CANNOT be delivered in a pickup truck - The End. 1/2 at best. And these guys probably just cut it and need to move it. It'd take a big operation to store wood under cover.

I'm not sure I recall a posting where someone got their first cord delivered and it was actually a cord.

If you have to keep buying, make a storage area that holds a cord, include a stacking fee in the delivery price, and agree to pay on the dimensions delivered.

If it doesn't look like somebody dumped a Volkswagen in your driveway, you didn't get a cord. "Measuring cords by pieces"... Puh-Leazzz!! Too many sellers will say anything to close a deal and be on their way.

Reactions: beatlefan
Demand is high right now and for the next 6 months.
Quality and size will be down and prices are up by dishonest sellers.
I'd split and test the moisture content (MC) and agree on a price
before letting the guy unload.
Good dealers and decent deals can be had with a little homework
and networking with some other area stovers for some info.

The guys that install the stoves sometimes know who around to trust.
Well seasoned wood is often tough to find.

Some of us get a couple years ahead on a wood supply so we have dependably good burning wood.

I have a wood lot where I live right now, but I've played the seasoned-wood-that-isn't game before.
Cross stack what you've got in the open ( not against a solid fence or building if you can help it ) so the wind goes through it easy and that's about all you can do to get it seasoning as fast as possible.
or save it for next year and burn bio/compressed bricks.

Check put home depot, tractor supply, lowes, or mernards for compressed wood logs. If you find a brand do a post here before you buy a ton (incase they have bad reviews) make sure that its 100% compressed wood with no wax or chemical binders (wood stove safety) Keep in mind that when solely burning compressed wood products they can be tough to lite off, usually people start a fire with a load of cord wood kindling and place the bricks or logs on top of that, once you have an established coal base there easy to use.
(1) ton of compressed wood is equivalent to almost 1.5 cords of wood since you only need a few dense bricks vs a full firebox of splits for the same amount of heat.
Don't discount pallets either, as long as they don't have glue or chemical treatments, you can break them up (use them for kindling)

The blocks from Menards are decent quality. I have used them in the past. The brand may vary but are solid compression with no additives. Right now they are at 2.79 ( reg 3.29)for a package less their infamous 11% deal. Never checked to see how much a full pallet would be, weather there would be an additional cost reduction or not.

Kiln dried wood as is being advertised lately around here- ain't no way 4 or 5 hrs in a kiln gets a 4x4 split down to 20-15% internally. It does destroy bugs though. So be a bit wary on that advertising hype as well.

As we get into colder weather be aware that using a moisture meter requires the split to be at room temperature internally to get a proper reading.

IF you can find some demolition wood from a building being torn down (floor joists ,wall studs ect ) its very dry and can be cut with a mitre saw . Its 95% of what i burn. Usually people are happy to part with it. Just have to exclude painted or treated wood and may have to remove some nails. .

I picked up a pallet of compressed logs last year at rural king in waterloo IL. You can also get them at Tractor supply co. Your best bet is to go in and price them multiple places and get the best deal. A few years ago Menards had then on sale in the summer and I picked up 1/2 a pallets worth.

Worst case you can mix them in with a couple splits of the wet wood to help make them last.

And if you find someone that delivers wood that is actually seasoned keep there number. I have bought from many places and none has ever been dry. I always buy a cord ever spring and I keep 2 cords on hand. So all the wood I burn is at least 18 months old. I also live in a neighborhood and have limited space.

Check put home depot, tractor supply, lowes, or mernards for compressed wood logs. If you find a brand do a post here before you buy a ton (incase they have bad reviews) make sure that its 100% compressed wood with no wax or chemical binders (wood stove safety) Keep in mind that when solely burning compressed wood products they can be tough to lite off, usually people start a fire with a load of cord wood kindling and place the bricks or logs on top of that, once you have an established coal base there easy to use.
(1) ton of compressed wood is equivalent to almost 1.5 cords of wood since you only need a few dense bricks vs a full firebox of splits for the same amount of heat.
Don't discount pallets either, as long as they don't have glue or chemical treatments, you can break them up (use them for kindling)

Thank you drunk uncle!

Thank you drunk uncle!
LOL - NP... I wouldn't buy a full ton yet.. find a brand you like if coming from a big box store, wait until Black Friday and then buy you tons... usually there's some awesome deals to be had. Good luck

Just to clarif, my post above was not meant to be rude towards OP. I thought "no pity from me" was kind of harsh.

Well our rookie season is showing our inexperience. We finally got everything arranged to have a stove install scheduled at the end of september, picked up our stove etc. We knew we needed to find someone with dry wood so my husband called a number advertising firewood. The kid was super nice and went out and got a moisture meter that day to test his wood, said it was coming in around 10% for splits and he even cut the wood down to 10" long pieces for our little stove size (Morso 1440).

So he brings it, even though we had told him to please FRESHLY split a piece and test the new side he had done it wrong and the wood was anywhere from mid 20's to high 30's I believe. He took 70$ off the price and we decided to take the cord anyway (it's all oak I think, not debarked but split). Then after he leaves and we look at the stack, we are nowhere NEAR a cord, probably just barely over a half cord. He says he measure his cords by "pieces" so he doesn't have to worry about dimensions. Obviously we were expecting a cord and he very nicely said he would come and take it back.

So today we were supposed to take delivery of a cord by the "best" place around here that our sweep suggested etc. We talked to them on the phone, they were confident their wood would be right for us but would not test it themselves. So a cord of wood comes to our house and when my husband splits and tests it most is in the mid 30's with one piece of a different species testing 18%, but there was not much of that wood in there.

We still have the original delivery of too-wet oak cut down so we refused this one for now. I'm not sure if we should keep the original delivery (it turned out to be $180 after his discount for what is about a half cord). I am beginning to doubt we will find anyone with dry wood and wondering if we cannot even burn this winter. :(

We also don't want a bunch of wood from a bunch of different places because we live in the city and do not want to increase the risk of introducing ticks to our yard, we also have a very small back yard in which to store it .

What of IL are you in? If your close by I have some very DRY wood.

Just to clarif, my post above was not meant to be rude towards OP. I thought "no pity from me" was kind of harsh.
I'm not offended either, sometimes shock value has the best impact, bet the OP will have dry wood for the rest of there wood burning lives.

Reactions: Chas0218