No idea what to do now :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Best wishes to you on learning stove and wood hoarding endeavors.
Quick up date , dang closing got pushed back again- waiting on some section of the county gov. now its end of Oct.<>

HI Soundchasm, I'm the husband (to enigmablaze) in this story. As mentioned we are going to need 10 inch long splits for our small stove. Do you have a recommendation of the size/brand of chainsaw to get if I'm just looking to cut delivered wood in half?

Also, last night I was doing our first burn and I had about a 1/4 of an eco brick in there and same kindling. It was time to be done with the burn (for paint curing) and so I tried to kill of the fire by turning the air flow off. About 10 minutes later we noticed the house starting to small like smoke and there was a fair amount of smoke coming from the chimney. I opened the draft back up spread out the remainder of the brick and all was well again.

My question is, if you tun off the air flow should you just expect it to smoke every time? I'm thinking maybe that eco brick was just smoldering where well seasoned wood would have gone out easier. What I do know is that I will plan on just letting my fires burn out whenever I can. Still I'd like to understand what happened last night. Thanks everyone! I don't think we could have gotten this far without all the help from our Hearth friends!

Howdy Crimson,
Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm pretty much the junior guy in this operation and always defer to the grown-ups on any important matter! ;)

I know my own two stoves pretty well, but I had to search out your model. That looks like a cool little stove. Draft is nothing more complicated than a difference is air pressure. Figuring out the particulars can stretch the gray matter.

I have a Husky 435 with a 16" bar that I use the heck out of, but it wasn't worth a darn until I got the carb adjustment tool. And I keep the chain sharp.

Here's a thought to help you get the cleanest information. This place has subject areas. Obviously, where we're talking is for fuel. I've posted a bunch of times in the Gear section, where the real guys keep my saw running and the chain sharp. When I had questions about draft, temps, liners, etc, I post in the Stove section. You'll get a similar flooding of info as with this post all tailored to a single question.

The final helpful tip is to list pertinent info in your signature block. Stove, saw, splitter, etc. People read those things and get a good idea of a poster's situation.

Hope this helps. Welcome aboard.

Do you have a recommendation of the size/brand of chainsaw to get if I'm just looking to cut delivered wood in half?

I would be thinking electric chainsaw since you will have electricity right there. Battery electric if you don't mind spending more and want ability to roam. I haven't fully investigated electric saws so I'm unable to recommend one over another. You might also want a Fiskars x27 splitting axe. Good chance a lot of them will need splitting in half or thirds.

My question is, if you tun off the air flow should you just expect it to smoke every time? I'm thinking maybe that eco brick was just smoldering where well seasoned wood would have gone out easier. What I do know is that I will plan on just letting my fires burn out whenever I can. Still I'd like to understand what happened last night. Thanks everyone! I don't think we could have gotten this far without all the help from our Hearth friends!

No! It should never put smoke in the room. Maybe it was just paint burning off? If so that will go away after a couple of hot fires.

I would look really hard for some standing dead Ash that the bark has fallen off of. It's pretty much ready to go straight out of the woods. I've tested fresh cut logs at 14% and tree was just felled. You don't have to look hard, the borer was very efficient and did it's job. It's all over the place. Short of finding Ash for this winter, find some Wild Cherry CSS it for next winter and you'll have some really nice burning wood.