No Power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roundgunner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2013
Rural CT
I'm having a power problem with the boiler. Kicks ground fault off. Looked for obvious problem, none. Ran extension cord, plug in boiler. It's not coming on or showing power but not blowing breaker. Drop light works on cord.
When everything was OK It only has power to the little panel (temp blower coordinator) I don't get it. I re grounded in a fresh drilled hole thinking maybe that's why GFI tripping. The GFI still powers everything from before and a halogen light. I will be trying to test switches tomorrow but I'm lost

Sounds silly, but make sure your stat is calling for heat. or a bad GFI.

Anything get wet? Critter (mice) nest and chewed wires? Bad temperature controller, fan, or limit switch wiring?

It would take a dead short to trip the breaker.

GFCI's are great when they work, but can be a real PITA sometimes. Before tearing the boiler apart I would try swapping out the GFCI.

I ordered a new controller. I will post the fix as soon as it works.

You mention that you have a "controller". Does your power come from a battery bank or inverter rather than from a utility?

Generally speaking, the recommended wiring for a furnace or boiler is to have power to that appliance on a separate breaker with no GFCI.

I take it you have other equipment on that circuit, which is therefore not recommended. You might want to consider going with the recommended method of wiring with only the furnace or boiler on the breaker.

Simpler might prove to be better!

You mention that you have a "controller". Does your power come from a battery bank or inverter rather than from a utility?

Generally speaking, the recommended wiring for a furnace or boiler is to have power to that appliance on a separate breaker with no GFCI.

I take it you have other equipment on that circuit, which is therefore not recommended. You might want to consider going with the recommended method of wiring with only the furnace or boiler on the breaker.

When I hear controller, I imagine the circuit board. They can cause a lot of funky issues when they go out.

what I'm calling the controller is #5 the temp controller. I ordered a new one and a temp probe.
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/T_TS2.pdf
I jumped controller 8 to 11 and the fan came on, If I get time I'm going to rewire the whole thing, it's very a simple design.
No Power
No Power
No Power
No Power
No Power

The GFI may be weak. I plugged the unit into a different circuit. It did not pop the breaker but wouldn't come on. The building inspector made me put it on a GFI, I never questioned it. It is a OWB in a shed and he is a friend as we both go to the monthly P&Z meetings together. I'm on the commission. I try to just do what he says and he doesn't look at my projects to hard. I will check the manual now that you brought it up.

It may just be the picture, but it looks to me like many of the wires are missing insulation, and look overheated. Could definitely benefit from a simple re-wire, or at the least an end clean up.