No splitting necessary!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Just buck em' up. All ready split 8 footers, time saver. a786d13c518d8542e43484684b656ea8.jpg9dfeda7e1520c1984c3e6ebc68e9f496.jpg

Reactions: D8Chumley
Nice - I've never seen this process done, how does it work / what do they use to split 8' trunks?

I like my splits big, but these look a bit large for me. I like it, it would be nice to get some of that. Tell us more.

I like my splits big, but these look a bit large for me. I like it, it would be nice to get some of that. Tell us more.
I am getting the 10 cord load delivered on Thursday. 8 ft logs already split, perfect for my OWB. I will continue to harvest my own firewood on the weekends as well, to keep up with my 3 year plan. I like the fact the logs are already split, this will save me an enormous amount of time, as I hand split everything right now. Pictures to come of the delivery.

Nice - I've never seen this process done, how does it work / what do they use to split 8' trunks?

I've done that to make an axe handle. You start near one end, hammer a crack open with a wedge, and get 3-4 more wedges and slowly open up the crack all the way down the log. If it doesn't open up nicely, it probably wasn't a good candidate to be an axe handle anyway!

I seriously doubt that's how these guys are doing truckloads of 8 footers though. They probably built a hydraulic splitter that they can throw 8 footers onto with their tree grabby arm, and they split out the straightest pieces there for the firewood trade.

A sawmill would also work for this, but it doesn't look that way from the pictures.

It looks like it will save a lot of time but as said earlier splitting the wood is what I enjoy the most. But that doesn't mean I would turn it down.

Just buck em' up. All ready split 8 footers, time saver. View attachment 174019View attachment 174020
The more i think about he whole time saving thing.....im wondering what would be quicker, cutting a round from a trunk and splitting that round once with a 4 way wedge or cutting one round 4 times (assuming the trunk was split into quarters). Hmmm.....1 cut and one split vs 4 cuts to get the same amount of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.