No, the heating season is not over yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with rdust. It's been a warm spring but naturally we've had some cold spells with it but not much below normal temperature. Forecast tonight though is for 28.

We had a VERY warm April here, but May has so far been cold and rainy. We hit 16 degrees last night when the skies cleared after a few days of rain, and the lows are going to hang stubbornly around freezing with highs in the 40s-50s for the next week. But that's just how it goes leading up to fishing opener. :)

Several years ago, about five, I think it was, we had a year where there was frost every month, including a few days in each month from June-August.

Frankly, I'd like to retire the wood furnace for the season and clean the stack and finish it up, but I don't think it's going to happen for a couple weeks.

we had the stove going with a small fire yesterday evening and again this morning. no rain here but the wind made the house cool. we put up plastic around our back porch this year. its serving us well as our pets can go out theyre now and we have a place to start seeds for the garden. im enjoying the warm from the stove but as always i realize summer is on its way. happy mothers day to all, pete

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree with rdust. It's been a warm spring but naturally we've had some cold spells with it but not much below normal temperature. Forecast tonight though is for 28.

I agree with rdust and Dennis. Seems as though we're at least a couple weeks ahead of schedule this year.

Looks like no fires for now. If the forecast holds, we are going to get a week of sun and might even hit 70 by Thurs.. I took a chance and planted the tomatoes yesterday.

My wife went out around 10:00 this morning and the bird bath was still frozen solid. Not good at all...

StihlyinEly said:
We had a VERY warm April here, but May has so far been cold and rainy. We hit 16 degrees last night when the skies cleared after a few days of rain, and the lows are going to hang stubbornly around freezing with highs in the 40s-50s for the next week. But that's just how it goes leading up to fishing opener. :)

Several years ago, about five, I think it was, we had a year where there was frost every month, including a few days in each month from June-August.

Frankly, I'd like to retire the wood furnace for the season and clean the stack and finish it up, but I don't think it's going to happen for a couple weeks.

I also remember a year like that with frost of freezing every month of that one year. It was in the northern LP of MI. I was really surprised to see a couple of corn fields that had been hit hard in late July. A couple weeks later it hit again in August. That was not a good year to be farming.

rdust said:
ddown said:
Burning this weekend man this is a cold spring that's for sure. What a cold, miserable, windy, day here.

I was thinking just the opposite! I can't remember the last time we had 80* days in April here in Michigan! I have a hard time remembering the last time trees leafed out so early. My Catalpa is already budding, that usually doesn't happen till June!

Now the last few days I could do without!

As any Michigander knows, if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes, it will change.

I had the stove going all day yesterday with the living room window cracked. Loaded the stove up last night for an overnight burn, and still had 250 degrees on the top this morning. I threw in a few odd chunks and ends before I left work this morning, hopefully when the wife gets home from work this afternoon, she'll still have some coals to deal with.

There is a town in WV called "Frost", where they have also recorded frosts all year due to higher elevation....that is pretty rare south of the mason-dixon line!

Here we have 45 MPH gusts today, with 50 degree....still feels pretty cold! They forecast a freeze tonight, and I see lots of little patches of snow flurries over NY State headed this way. Chances are we will see nothing or just a flake, but it is definitely a winter pattern.

Yesterday we had spring thunderstorms. Other than that, it has been an extremely early spring. Our landscape gardens are already in full bloom and growth...normally just getting started about now.

I have a few pine splits in the insert right now. its in the mid-40s but the house is a little on the chilly side. Just keep that cold $hit up north, Ive already planted my tomatoes and peppers!

In the low fifties with lots of wind so I finally broke down. I have the first fire in a couple of weeks starting up in the 30 since we are supposed to go into the mid thirties tonight.

I thought burning was over. Have a overnight fire going now. Supposed to be 30's overnight.

gzecc said:
I thought burning was over. Have a overnight fire going now. Supposed to be 30's overnight.

+1

Supposed to get to 28 tonight here.

I've had the Intrepid going all day. Barely got over 50 today, but like most of the NE, we were pounded by heavy wind. Currently, it's about 42 and the wind is still going. Low tonight will be in the mid 30s.

This is when the multiple stoves comes in handy (well, they also come in handy during the winter, I guess). I really don't need the Vigilant going, but the Intrepid is working well at keeping the chill off the main portion of the house. I really didn't think the Intrepid would be put back into use this late in the year, but it is. Monday and Tuesday will be about the same temps, so the Vigilant will probably get some use at some point.

We were sleeping with the a/c on recently!

gzecc said:
We were sleeping with the a/c on recently!

Yup. Last weekend I put in the window fans. I had to take them out yesterday.

We were up in VT this weekend. I had a fire going from Friday night, until we left yesterday.

We did lose some corn and it looks like some of the peaches got hit too. It was in the 20's and we had some pretty solid ice 2 days in a row.

Yep - but it is the electric that is doing the heating at this point in time...

Freeze warning last night and again tonight. High today in the lower 50's and lots of sun. However, still went ahead and lit the stove this morning to make sure house was nice and warm all day. Biggest problem here is that everyone has quickly gotten used to warmer temps so now it feels cold so much sooner. Well, that and we packed the winter coats etc away already. Like others we had the AC running a week ago just to get the kids to sleep well (kids of all ages :) ).

I still have a little bit of wood in the rack next to the stove. Whatever happens in the next few weeks I don't have any intention of bringing any more into the house until fall - so one it is burned that's it! ... ok, we'll see how well my resolve holds if the rack goes empty - it sure was nice feeling the heat this morning as I do miss the contrast of cool air and warmth radiating from the stove.

Slow1 said:
Like others we had the AC running a week ago just to get the kids to sleep well (kids of all ages :) ).

Our 4 year old has gotten into the habit of getting dressed by the fire. She wasn't happy those few days we weren't burning.

Burned some hemlock rounds that I had cut down in '07 and bucked about a month ago. A nice quick hot fire. Smells nice too. I would like to have a cord of that for shoulder season. Below freezing tonight, then maybe a fire the next two nights with low around 40. Long term forecast says that will be it. Second night having to move the hanging plants inside!

Just about had the basement cleaned out. But had to go get another load of wood and throw in there last nite. Oh well at least I am warm!

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.