Non-Travis OEM Fan Blower Reostat/Variable Speed Switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mar 1, 2012
Central CT
Hello again, hope all are warm.

I've tried searching this redundant subject for a specific clue:

HOW to get a switch for a fan blower for a Travis® insert that
won't die every year!

It's no big deal to replace 'em, but it's REAL annoying.

Anybody out there monkey with a variable speed switch
that betters Travis'?

Thanks in advance.

Hello again, hope all are warm.

I've tried searching this redundant subject for a specific clue:

HOW to get a switch for a fan blower for a Travis® insert that
won't die every year!

It's no big deal to replace 'em, but it's REAL annoying.

that betters Travis'?

Thanks in advance.
I called Travis after replacing ours five times in the past 7 years. They said they have never received complaints on the switches and claim it must be from a power surge. This year ours is holding up....what we are doing is leaving the switch on, and set to the lowest speed during reloads, and then back up afterward. I was thinking, maybe turning it on and off is killing it. I also made a Jumper Wire to put in place of the switch when it fails and use a switched power strip to turn the Blower on / off....runs full bore

You can get these on Ebay or Amazon very cheap. You don't need to go back to Travis Industries and pay 3 times what you would elsewhere. I went to Amazon for the snap switch and it has worked out extremely well.

I called Travis after replacing ours five times in the past 7 years. They said they have never received complaints on the switches and claim it must be from a power surge. This year ours is holding up....what we are doing is leaving the switch on, and set to the lowest speed during reloads, and then back up afterward. I was thinking, maybe turning it on and off is killing it. I also made a Jumper Wire to put in place of the switch when it fails and use a switched power strip to turn the Blower on / off....runs full bore

Beer Belly: Thanks and good to read your thoughts again.
We were here two years ago yappin' about the same problem!

I don't power down much ... as far as the reload, never gave it a
thought, but I'm riding the "Off" position to keep it going full tilt.
Otherwise, it powers down to nearly nothing. I vacuum it periodically
during the burn season to keep it breathing clearly then remove the
fan to give it a good cleaning in April.

Shmudda: It's tempting. What's your experience been? You've only
replaced yours once? How many seasons have you gotten?

I don't know what's killing the switches, the ash, the work or the heat.
I suspect a combination of all three. I'd wager on the heat the most.
The snap itself is fine, it's the rheostat that fails.

Drift,

I have replaced my snap switch twice since 1997 when the stove was new. The most recent time was in early 2016. You might need to rework the clip that holds it a little, but they are cheap enough to buy 3 or so at a time and then the clip is ready to accept them all. As for the control rheostat, I am on my second one, and the first one burnt up from operator error (yea me!). It got shorted out when I tried to pull the snap switch up into position with a coat hanger and touched the two leads! I know, not to bright!!!

Again, Amazon is the way to go as you will save a pile of $$$ compared to buying OEM from your local dealer, plus you have many other options to you as for cut in and cut out temperatures.

Craig

that betters Travis'?
Are you looking for the blower speed control or the thermostatic snap switch?

If the fan speed control, check out Graingers or McMaster-Carr. Be sure to get the amperage right. Also, stove parts companies sell these.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/Blowers/Controls/D65648N1C500O-1.html
and on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O13GMUE/?tag=hearthamazon-20
or offline
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Variable-Fa...ine-Vortex-Blower-Exhaust-1800W-/232012697953

I was under the impression that he was talking about a faulty switch like I've been experiencing;?

Thanks, folks!

Went to the dealership 2yrs back, think I'll try
begreen's links. I prefer to buy local, but not at
my own expense!

Jinxed........mine just crapped out