Northern Virginia Free Hardwood Heads-Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Holy crap! That seems much too good to be true, but it's got me thinkin' hard about a road trip! If I had a trailer for the minivan I'd be pickin' a load up on the way back from visiting the family for turkey day!

I saw that, and that Montgomery County was listed also. But I assumed it was somehow or another not what it seemed and didn't call. That, and my neighbor just cut down an oak tree.

The ad has been flagged, big surprise! Can you say "WAY too good to be true?" %-P

I never got to see the add. what did it say?

pulldownclaw said:
The ad has been flagged, big surprise! Can you say "WAY too good to be true?" %-P
That may mean nothing. Some unscrupulous competitors will flag each others ads.

Yeah, but did you see the ad? It said something like "60 cords of free hardwoods delivered to your door!".

It does sound way too good to be true. Further, the Fairfax County area in Northern Virginia is under a firewood quarantine due to the Emerald Ash Borer. There are local outbreaks in Northern Virginia and in Prince Georges County. MD. It's either outright illegal or at least pretty inconsiderate to move firewood out of these areas. Too bad, as the majority of local free firewood ads in Craig's List are from that area. BTW I have even seen warning ads in Craig's List to that effect. They are trying real hard to get the word out and stop folks from spreading the problem around.

It's outright illegal, for both Fairfax and PG, but I suspect most folks have no idea. And given that the EAB has never really been stopped (short of simply cutting down every ash tree), I expect the whole region will wind up like MI-OH eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.