Northern Warmth Green Bag Douglas Firs VS. Purple Bag Supreme Douglas Firs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fmsm

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
South of Boston MA
I got caught with fewer bags than I thought and will have to burn 5-10 bags of the green bag duggies until my ton of purple bag supreme duggies arrives. Does anyone have any real world experience between the 2?

I got caught with fewer bags than I thought and will have to burn 5-10 bags of the green bag duggies until my ton of purple bag supreme duggies arrives. Does anyone have any real world experience between the 2?rple Douf Fir
Last winter I used the Purple Bag Doug Fir from Northern Warmth and they were the hottest pellet I have used in my Mini A. To save a few and I mean few bucks, I switched to their Super Spruce. What a mistake.

I have burned Olympus Doug fir for 3 years. I heard of the brand you speak of and have heard good reviews but alas no personal experience. From my knowledge of Olympus they burn very hot, virtually no ash, the pot stays more airy and doesnt clump like the cheapo pellets. And I noticed that there is virtually no sawdust towards the bottom of.the bag. Theres always a little but compared to the cheapo bags its night and day.

One suggestion is I got those 5 gallon home depot buckets, pour the bag into the bucket so it's easy to pour in the stove. And when you about 5/6 done the bag , use one of those scoop fryers they sell at the chinese market. Bigger the holes the better just so the pellets dont fall out. This scoop gets all pellets on the bottom out and leaves all.the saw dust in the bag. Or if you have a real crap bag you could filter the entire thing but I think that's overkill. Since most of the dust settles to.the bottom anyways.