Norwegian Round Stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
Has anyone done Norwegian Round Stack? I was wondering how difficult is it etc.

Holz Hausen​

Look up past threads on holzhausen in the Woodshed forum. Some folks really like stacking this way. It puts a lot of wood into a compact space. Just don't make it too high unless you have a man-lift. ;)

huge holhausen.jpg

Im going to have to look this up! Ive seen a few on the net, but no one I know of does it. It looks cool and uses less space.

My wife likes to stack wood in holzhausen. They seem to work pretty well. We get about 2 cords in one stack.

I covered them with tar paper, and it lasted a couple of years but is now falling apart. I will find a better solution.

I think if you stack them to shed water, you probably don't need to cover.

Here is a picture of a smaller one she did. I topped it with a peaked roof.

2581469566590562131.jpg

Oh cool, I gotta try this. Obviously it would be better to start the first row on a pallet or raised platform? or would a circle cut out of tarp be sufficient below the first layer?

I just used some lesser quality pieces sacrificially on the bottom and made sure they helped the next layer tilt in a bit due to wanting to fill the middle with loose pieces. Pallets would work too and increase airflow up through the stack. My understanding is that this method is supposed to take advantage of a chimney effect to accelerate drying.

Reactions: Dajolu
They look so nice Id hate to burn them. My luck it would fall over....on me.

My wife uses 4 pallets to make a squarish base to start with, or if you can get one big one that works as well. A tarp might be OK, but it won't let any water drain if it does make it to the bottom of the pile. If you can get some pallets, they work pretty well.

We did have one partially collapse, but that was due to a pallet that was not strong enough. Some of the boards busted, causing the pile to shift and start to fall. They are pretty stable if you have a solid base under them and run some braces across.

When she gets to the top 1/3rd, she runs boards or branches across the whole diameter and continues to build from there. The branches/boards help brace them.

She fills the center with the odd and ugly/twisty ones as she works her way up. Not having those as part of the "stack" probably helps with the overall stability as well.

Reactions: Dajolu
Does this stacking method take longer for the splits to dry. Also once you start taking from the stack how do you keep water off the remaining pieces.

Last edited:
I think if you make them too big it would take longer to dry. If you keep them at about 2 cords, probably not.

We are probably about 4 years ahead on wood right now so even if it took a little longer, we would not notice.

We have a "wood bin" under our carport which holds about 5 cords. We load that up with dry stuff before the winter hits. So, we move an entire holzhausen when it is time to move it.

I started stacking my first Holz Hausen today. I’m building it on a single pallet. Kinda difficult ha. I think it would be better over a few pallets because the circle I’m making is a bit tight.