Not a good day, not a bad day.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Well, got up early to see my brother off. He's driving to his new job out in LA. Then unloaded 15 sheets of plywood and about 900lbs of pavers. Then collected my gear, packed a cooler and headed for my sister's place.

About 5 miles outside of town I realized that I forgot B&C oil. Stopped at the next town's small hardware store, and bought a quart of generic winter weight crap that cost me over 4 bucks.

Finished my drive and started as quick as I could. It was only about 83 degrees but felt like 150 aft a few minutes of work.

I hate pine trees like these. Awesome wind break, but they are bushy and scratchy and you have to work really hard for fairly little firewood.

So I'm scratched all up and my sweat is stinging my forearms. I took lots of breaks in my sis's house, and when I was refreshed I'd saw for a few minutes, then spend the rest of my energy on dragging limbs to the pile. Then repeat.

028 runs like a champ in the cut, but chain brake broke AGAIN on it, and the idle is wayyyy f'd up. Bad bad combo. Started great every time, next time I need to remember to keep a smaller screwdriver in my truck, because I couldn't mess with it.

Eventually got to the point where I would work for 20 minutes and be drenched and exhausted, so I gave up. Worked from about 8:30 to 1:30, but prob only spent about half that time outside working. Finally gave up and drove home. Got 7 large rounds in the truck and didn't even finish one tree. More than half of the work was done on that tree and there are two kore to go.

Side note: Used brother-in law's 290 with a 16 inch bar on it. Cuts very well, but balance is wayy off like that. I think I'd feel more comfortable with a 20 inch bar unless you just have a skinny log that you are just walking down and cutting up.

Side note 2: used only one chain that I sharpened last nite on my small cheap bench grinder. I have to pat myself on the back because it's the best sharpening job I've ever had. Better than any of my hand sharpenings, and definitely better than when my farm store does it. I was throwing chips all day long with it. We'll see how it handles tougher wood later. Maybe when it cools off.

It looks like you also forgot your camera. :blank:
Are you going back for the rest of the trees?

;-) Sharpen it again before the next outing...Better to do it when you dont need it. Makes a better chain when thats the only focus.

Bspring said:
It looks like you also forgot your camera. :blank:
Are you going back for the rest of the trees?
Yeah, I'll be back for the rest. They aren't going anywhere. Had my cell phone, but pictures definitely weren't a priority! I can take a pic of the rounds in the truck as evidence that it at least happened!

Lol, now you have to wait 'til this storm blows over!

smokinjay said:
;-) Sharpen it again before the next outing...Better to do it when you dont need it. Makes a better chain when thats the only focus.
I had three newly sharpened chains for the 028, and the Steel has a good chain on it. I will give this a quick once over so I know they are all good for next time.

I really need to get that 170 in action. I was doing lots of manuevering and cutting high and reaching. A nice little saw could have saved me some energy.

Danno77 said:
I really need to get that 170 in action. I was doing lots of manuevering and cutting high and reaching. A nice little saw could have saved me some energy.

That sort of thing is precisely why I reach first for the smallest saw that'll do the job. Cut may take a few seconds more, but I can make many more cuts/hour. Better ability to maneuver in "close quarters" is a real safety plus, but I've got to draw the line on reaching up.

Favorite saws here: 30 cc 1977-vintage Echo, 35 cc McC (Taiwanese.) Fuel economy and endurance of both is exceptional, also.

I have no problems at all cutting with my little 16" bar. Years ago after injuring my back I felt a bit foolish cutting with a small saw but that went away fast. At least I can still cut.

A quick shot of what little made it into the truck yesterday.
b2ef71e5.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
I have no problems at all cutting with my little 16" bar. Years ago after injuring my back I felt a bit foolish cutting with a small saw but that went away fast. At least I can still cut.
It cut well like that, but when I hang onto my "work saw" I like it to be balanced around the handle bar. With that 16 bar on there it would aim upwards if I let off the trigger handle. Not a big deal, especially when actually in the cut. I just like more balance for maneuverability on the primary saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.