Good Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BillBurns

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2022
PA
My friend gave me an SUV full of kiln dried pine, from work. They are ends and cut offs. MC is 8 to 13.....I plan on mixing it with hardwood, so itll be spare wood. Is this good wood? And what about creosote? Ive heard stories from both sides of the fence. Thank You! Also, there is no smoke at all coming out of the flue. All you see is heat waves. Not sure if thats good or bad, I assuming good.

MC is on a fresh split I assume...? Can't measure on the outside. Pretty much any untreated uncoated wood is fine if properly seasoned.

Pine is good. IF it's dry. DRY.
As said above, resplit something so you can measure on the inside that is now exposed.

I'm burning pine at the moment.

Yeah, I wish he did, lol. I split it, checked, and its between 6 and 13 percent. I should be good.

That is not just good, it's fantastic.
In fact, I would mix it with some wetter wood (e.g. around 20-25% mc). If not, make sure you properly control the fire as wood this dry can take off really quickly.

-edit: ah, I see that was your plan.
Still, keep the 15-20% firewood you may have separate; it's ideal on its own. Mix it with stuff slightly wetter.
(If you go 25-30%, you'd have to mix in quite a bit more of the stuff you got - I'd avoid that.)

I try to mix it up, due to the dryness. I have some hard wood thats around 14%. Isnt it weird that theres no visible smoke? Im new to this all, but I have been around camp fires my whole life. I am always home when I have a fire, and I have a thermometer. It sure can take off quickly, I found that out. I usually run between 350 and 500. I think thats pretty good?

No visible smoke means you're doing it well. That's the goal, because it means you're not wasting half combusted stuff up the chimney, and are keeping the great outdoors cleaner.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Sounds good. I think Im doing good, due to the cutoffs go to the landfill, if no one wants them. My buddy doesnt burn wood, so he hooks me up. Its mostly 2" x 12" pieces about a foot long. I split them into kindling and smaller splits. And I agree.....the Great Outdoors, Mother Nature. Not only do I love it, I live in it. Im not the city slicker kind of guy I guess.

Getting free, cut to size, split, and cork dry firewood - fantastic. If you can control the fire, and have enough of them (more than you need for kindling),I'd simply put a tight stack of 2*12 in the stove. Possibly surrounded by some normal splits. And then burn. Free BTUs.

But you have to control the fire well

My friend gave me an SUV full of kiln dried pine, from work. They are ends and cut offs. MC is 8 to 13.....I plan on mixing it with hardwood, so itll be spare wood. Is this good wood? And what about creosote? Ive heard stories from both sides of the fence. Thank You! Also, there is no smoke at all coming out of the flue. All you see is heat waves. Not sure if thats good or bad, I assuming good.
Keep in mind there are not 2 sides to this fence. The pine thing is a total myth.
I’ve burned cords of it with no more buildup than other woods.

As long as the cut off are not treated with chemicals or painted... keep'em coming in

Pine is a good wood to burn. I have some and burn it here and there.. I dont get alot of it but when I have it I look forward to the burn. The dilemma was back in the day when a person just split the pine and threw it in the fireplace and after years of this the wood cabin and stone fireplace went up in flames.

Thanks for the replies. I too think its safe to burn pine, as long as the sap isnt flowing so to speak. I think it smells good too, a little.lol They arent treated or anything. He makes custom molding and furniture. He wont take delivery uness its below 10%. I truely am blessed to have a friend like him. I think it burns kinda long too, longer that what I thought.

If it is dried, it's okay. However, when you burn pine that had a lot of sap (pitch) it'll melt and start flowing when you burn it. BUt then it's not water but oily stuff. So that's ok.

Thanks for the information. I did have 2 pieces that has something bubbling out, lol. probably sap I guess....A few moist ones must have made it thru the processing.

Water will make somewhat random dark spots (before.it starts sizzling). Pitch comes out on only half.of.the growth rings (i.e. you get curves of white stuff drawn on the ends)

Thanks for the info. This a weird question, but pine is fine, as long as its not like an old christmas tree, right? By that I mean DRY.....I had another piece that I forgot about all summer. Needless to say it was wet, my reader pegged out. I will dry it out tho.

In fact i have started a fire with a split in half Christmas tree trunk from 2 years ago. Ideal kindling.

Again, if it's dry, it's good.

I try to mix it up, due to the dryness. I have some hard wood thats around 14%. Isnt it weird that theres no visible smoke? Im new to this all, but I have been around camp fires my whole life. I am always home when I have a fire, and I have a thermometer. It sure can take off quickly, I found that out. I usually run between 350 and 500. I think thats pretty good?

Clear smoke, clear conscious

for me i've definiteley had burned some pine in my stove ( white pine and white cedar ) and when it came time to clean out the flue there were no real prob no extra creosote for my flue .... as long as ya can keep the fire descently hot u should be in the clear

I used to think burning pine was bad. That was because folks burned pine without much drying. Creosote would build up fast with moist pine. Lots of chimney fires in the old days.
Now with insulated flue pipe and dry pine the creosote will keep going until out of the chimney.

Thanks for the replies. I am having good luck with the pine mixed in with more moist wood. I hit a bad piece last night with some sap on it....it blazed big time, and smoke too. It went down in a few minutes.

I had a piece of pine that got (melted) sap dripping in the ashes, digging a hole, and becoming like a candle flame from that hole in the ash. This is pitch pine (large amount of sap).

See the flame below the "branch".

This is from a tree that had loads of fatwood, see the gray radial lines in the round.

20664.jpeg

Attachments

• VID_20221118_185935682~3.mp4
    3.7 MB