Not OT- Grandpa's turning 90 today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
So I bought him the biggest bottle of 151 I could find.

So where does this fit into the board? He spent much of his adult life as a vol. fireman putting out chimney fires. That, and I'm not lighting 90 candles so part of the cake may just catch fire.

:)

Matt

A very Happy Birthday to him, Matt. My dad's turning 80 in about a week---he and my mom are both pretty healthy, still have 'most' of their marbles and still on the go. Here's hoping it's genetic! :)

A big Happy Birthday to him!

Congrats - my folks are young - mom is gonna be 76 I think this month - I'm going to visit for the B_day.......just so happens they are in Hilton Head where it will be warm and I will have access to Tennis on clay courts, swimming, a boat, a kayak, etc.......

Heck, I must be of tender years.......more likely my folks started procreating early and often.

I warned my Grandfather about the 151... He normally drinks cheap whiskey. He kind of blew it off and took a big shot! I've never seen that man force a drink down! 5 minutes later he said he could still feel it in his sinuses!

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:

I warned my Grandfather about the 151... He normally drinks cheap whiskey. He kind of blew it off and took a big shot! I've never seen that man force a drink down! 5 minutes later he said he could still feel it in his sinuses!

Matt

Try some good 20 + year old "cask strength" single malt Scotch some time... My bottle of MacAllan is only 58.5% (117 proof) but it is SMOOTH.... When they make single malt scotch, they distill the mash and get pure grain alcohol (~95% alcohol, 190 proof, which is piped into the oak casks and put into bonded warehouses for aging... A certain amount (referred to as the "Angel's share) is lost through evaporation each year, the remainder is flavored by the cask - "Cask strength" is the stuff that is bottled just the way it comes out of the cask, most is watered down as needed to reach the more typical label strengths of 80-100 proof.

Interesting side note - the fumes from the bonded warehouses are enough to cause the trees around them to have black bark instead of the normal grey color.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.