Not stacked but under a roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aansorge

Minister of Fire
Aug 12, 2011
Southern Minnesota
I am using a new wood shed this year (it is an old shed that was filled with junk that I cleaned out). I stacked most of the wood (3/4 of the shed), but towards the end, I just threw it in a big heap. Does firewood that is covered dry much slower if it isn't stacked but is simply piled up? The floor is thick concrete. My thoughts on the subject are that it won't make much difference. As many of us have discovered, stacking wood allows us to pile more wood in the same volume of space. Knowing this it seems as though there will be plenty of air space. The shed breaths well as it has open windows on all sides.

My guess is if you put some pallets under the pile to allow air flow under the wood and up through the pile, its would increase the drying substantially

The wood at the center of the pile will not get very dry very quick, but if it is already seasoned then you don't have to worry about it.

Off topic, nice NB, I used to field an NA in STR locally in CCR (Central Carolina Region ) when I was stationed at Fort Bragg. The NA is still in North Carolina, sans engine and transmission, and I hope to pick it up once this pandemic is over.

Wood dries from the ends. Stacking facilitates air flow hitting every piece consistently. If you throw it in a pile, this hinders the process

If you throw it in a pile, this hinders the process
I will disagree with respect.
best way to stack firewood

Tradition says wood needs to sit for 6-12 months in order to have it properly dried but with the Scandinavian way, your wood stack can dry in 3-6 months.

So the only difference is he is not going to have the stacked outer walls but also the advantage of a roof overhead
I do not stack wood to dry it goes into a barn with a stone floor on pallets Tee-Pee fashion and it drys in 7 to nine months (Sugar Maple and Red Oak)

I will disagree with respect.
best way to stack firewood

Tradition says wood needs to sit for 6-12 months in order to have it properly dried but with the Scandinavian way, your wood stack can dry in 3-6 months.

So the only difference is he is not going to have the stacked outer walls but also the advantage of a roof overhead
I do not stack wood to dry it goes into a barn with a stone floor on pallets Tee-Pee fashion and it drys in 7 to nine months (Sugar Maple and Red Oak)

well yea! It’ll dry with that kind of “pile”

Reactions: SpaceBus