Now I bought the splitter, My first question! Hydrolic - Oil-Fluid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davidki

May 21, 2021
Tennessee
Picking up my Northstar 37 ton splitter tomorrow.... this question is more for the future as I had Northern tool fully assemble the splitter in their repair department... I expect they filled the tank with the Northern Tool branded fluid...they said it takes 9 gallons. For some reason NT does not show their fluid or oil on their website ( they say they are out) Don't ask me where they found the 9 gallons for my splitter... But I am picking it up tomorrow and will go through it with a fine tooth comb before hooking it up and bringing it home.

So the NT specs for the splitter shows Hydraulic Fluid 10wt AW32, ASLE H-150, or ISO32 (now that is where I am scratching my head) In the future what should I use, what is the best for the machine and when should I change it?

For years our tractor guy buys the Tractor Supply Premium hydraulic - transmission fluid for the tractor (he said it's really good) but was not sure if I can use it in the splitter...... Tractor Supply is not very forthcoming on what the specs are on their fluid and I have not seen it on their website.

I plan to post more once I get it home and crank it up... which will be probably tomorrow :- )

Thanks for the info in advance.

My understanding is that the so called universal transmission/hydraulic fluid is suitable for almost any hydraulic system. It is labeled such because in most tractors the hydraulic fluid is also what lubricates the transmission. Normal AW32 won't work for keeping a transmission going, but it is a good economical alternative to the universal fluid in systems without a transmission involved.
AW32 is what is commonly used in spiltters. If you'll be using it primarily in warmer temperatures (summer) you might be better off with AW46. The number corresponds to the recommended temperature range.

My understanding is that the so called universal transmission/hydraulic fluid is suitable for almost any hydraulic system. It is labeled such because in most tractors the hydraulic fluid is also what lubricates the transmission. Normal AW32 won't work for keeping a transmission going, but it is a good economical alternative to the universal fluid in systems without a transmission involved.
AW32 is what is commonly used in spiltters. If you'll be using it primarily in warmer temperatures (summer) you might be better off with AW46. The number corresponds to the recommended temperature range.
Thanks for the quick reply... I wanted to ask before I made a mistake... I found an older listing on the NT fluid and I will be interested in seeing what they actually put in.... and thanks for the comment on the AW46 I will keep that in mind as the Nashville area summer temps no doubt are a bit warm :)

Here is the Tractor Supply fluid our tractor guy uses on our John Deere that has the Ehydro trans.

Dave

been using aw32 on the splitter for 20+ years, the universal trans/hydraulic fluid will work as well. plenty of units running on simple ATF. heck even straight 30 weight non-detergent will work. just that the hydro fluids have various friction modifiers and anti-foaming agents added in.

When I bought my splitter from TSC 12yr. ago, they recommended ISO-46. That is what I have always used.
I split around 4 cords a year and change my fluid and filter every two years.

I use ATF in mine.
But i split wood in the winter at times.
Change your filter every couple years,don't change your oil unless it gets contaminated with water.You will never wear out the oil in a splitter.
I never change hydrulic oil in my equipment,just filters.I also mix differant oils.With impliment changes and hoses that burst there is allays fresh oil added.
If there is a transmission in the hydrualic system them it's a different game.Then the oil will get changed,and only hydrulic/tranny oil used in there.

Pretty much have to change the tranny oil every yearon those Hydro units or they just stop moving

It really depends on when your going to split. I don't split in the summer or warmer weather.. I normally split between February through april...may at the latest.. I use an AW32 if I was a summer splitter I'd use something for a warmer temperature.. So you need to figure out when your primarily splitting time.will be

It doesn't get contaminated, with combustion gases like oil in your car. So it's almost good forever. I am anal about synthetic oils in my cars. But haven't done anything to the hydro filter or oil in the splinter in 25 years. I really do need to change the hydro filter. When I do I'll cut it open and take some pictures.

Yes I change the splitter engine ever year. It has no filter. On a new engine I would change it after the first few hours. And then a few more times the first year.

I use red automatic transmission fluid in my TSC splitter, I find it flows better in colder weather, which leads to easier starts.

Reactions: salecker