Now she wants a humidifier...argh.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never tried reusing the filters. They are some synthetic material with a paper like consistency, and over time build up mildew. Iwash with soap weekly and change every 4-6 weeks. In bulk they run maybe $8 each. A season worth cost less than one month phone bill.

I leave it set to no more than 45% humidity. Enough to prevent dry throat but not enough to cause condensation problems.

What is an "aporier?"

quote="Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle, post: 1520848, member: 5149"]I ran a $10 aporier from Wally World last year, worked wonders. Used it in the den where the insert is.

Plus I hung the laundry in the house, plenty of moisture there (for me any ways).
[/quote]

Vaporizer. Damned V's, Y's, & Z's don't always work, lol !!

Reactions: Bster13
That stove/insert top thing would meld right in and I'll have to read up on filter free humidifiers. Nice. Thx,

Get the largest one you can find. It can be a pain filling them often. At the end of the heating season they pretty much go on clearance. Maybe try the pots to start out with and then upgrade if you need to at the end of the season.

I like those half steamers. The first one, a half kettle, was invented by Craig that runs this forum.

Get the largest one you can find. It can be a pain filling them often. At the end of the heating season they pretty much go on clearance. Maybe try the pots to start out with and then upgrade if you need to at the end of the season.

And when they boil over or drip on the stove it is a mess too. Used a cast iron kettle for twenty years and don't miss it a bit.

With the half pot steamers.... there will be a natural wood (finished though with poly) over the insert as a mantle. Would the steamer eventually rot that out?

I also wonder if a cast iron pot or steamer would be kind of like me when I first starting to C/S/S wood and bought a splitting ax they quickly realized it wasn't good enough for me so I bought a splitter. I'd rather not invest in something small and relatively inexpensive only to upgrade a short time after. :p

So just use a big pot for a few weeks and see if it does the trick. If it does, then buy a large cast iron pot or a very attractive large ceramic glazed cast iron dutch oven that you can also use for cooking. They are available in many colors and can look very nice on the stove.

Reactions: PapaDave
On a stove that would certainly be an inexpensive test, but more difficult on an insert.
So just use a big pot for a few weeks and see if it does the trick. If it does, then buy a large cast iron pot or a very attractive large ceramic glazed cast iron dutch oven that you can also use for cooking. They are available in many colors and can look very nice on the stove.

Reactions: PapaDave
A set of filters for the Kenmore console is $18.00
$18.00 a yr is Well worth the cost.

The filter free ones are "warm mist". The ones with filters are "cool mist". The warm mist ones put crap in the air you don't even want to deal with. One sinus infection costs more than years worth of filters.

Reactions: jeff_t
The P.O.'s here were humidity freaks -- big honkin' Sears humidifier running on high 24/7. The house was mold city. (At least they weren't heavy smokers -- the stench of that is even harder to get rid of.)

This is what I use:

Venta-Sonic Ultrasonic Humidifier http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ltrasonic-humidifier/3244358?categoryId=12349

It's an ultrasonic, NOT an evaporative. Which costs more, but greatly reduces, practically eliminates the mold growth you get with evaporative. This model has a demineralization cartridge that prevents the white residue that can be left behind on your furniture etc with unfiltered water. I also use filtered water. It's very quiet. I do not trust the automatic sensor on any humidifier. I have humidistats throughout the house to guide me. I keep it above 35 but below 45.

If I have city water, minerals wouldn't be that big of a deal, correct?

http://www.essickair.com/products/humidifiers/humidifier-categories/essick-air-whole-house/

I believe they make the Kenmore branded units. I purchased mine at Home Depot yrs back. I think it was a 2700 sq ft model. Still works, holds two large cassettes of water, in the dead of winter I fill the cassettes each morning. It is evaporative, so no mess, it actually filters the air by the way of it's evaporative design. It has a functioning humidistat.

Disposible filters last ~ yr, and minerals and dirt do accumulate on the filter which can be washed but once used and completely dried fall apart after a yr.

http://www.essickair.com/products/humidifiers/humidifier-categories/essick-air-whole-house/4d7-300
Specifications
  • 13 GPD OUTPUT
  • 2700 SQ. FT.
  • VARIABLE SP MOTOR
  • DIGITAL CONTROL
  • HUMIDISTAT
  • DUAL WATER BOTTLES
  • AIR FILTER
  • E-Z ROLL CASTERS
  • FILL HOSE
  • AUTO SHUTOFF
  • 5.5 GAL WATER CAPACITY
  • 28L X 13.9D X 22.4H

What does that whole house one cost?

And is there anyone out there NOT having their furniture and hardwood floors drying out as a result of no humidifier? Just curious.

What does that whole house one cost?

And is there anyone out there NOT having their furniture and hardwood floors drying out as a result of no humidifier? Just curious.

Used forced air wood furnace for 10 years, never had a problem with furniture or floors, never use a humidifier either. We just got used to it I guess.

Reactions: Bster13
I have this one, works good , its a whole house one. Its has 6 speed settings and can be set to a low setting you can almost not hear.

upload_2013-9-18_9-24-40.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.