Number of drive links for my Poulan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTburning

Nov 9, 2008
Western CT
I am going to have to buck up a couple cords of white oak and need a replacement chain for my Poulan 4218 (same specs as wild thing). Somebody sent a link to Oregon's website and it was very helpful. It only lists 62 drive links as an option. The guy at the local Husky/Jonsered dealer says to bring the chain in, He'll make me one. I just want to get a couple aggressive chains for the oak as the safety chains cut through maple like butter. Anyone have a wild thing that can remember how many drive links are on their replacement chain. Also, can I get a chain with lets say 64 drive links and and it will be slightly longer? Sorry, very little experience in this department. Thanks

ps. I have been thinking of upgrading to a Shilh ms290 or husky455 rancher ($400 dollar saw). I like them both and the stihl is a little cheaper but I like the husky dealer a lot more. The stihl is more of a box store and the husky dealer is a small town shop. I trust him more plus he is always there. I guess Jonsered has a program for the next couple of months to buy back your old Poulan for $90. I only spent $100 on the saw. I think it came to around $400 with the tradein for the 2255 ?( but I could be way off, I need to check again), model which is the equivalent of the the 455 rancher. Something to think about....

Sounds like an 18" bar ya got there. So yes, 62 links is the correct chain length..........

Yes, you need to stay with the correct number of drive links.

And I think I would be all over that J'red!

I have never seen a stihl big box store?

smokinj said:

You mean you haven't hear of Stihls 'R Us?

Can't you count the drive links on your current chain or is the chain MIA?

smokinj said:

Our local True Value also sells Stihl, Husky and a couple other brands in both saws and other OPE like string trimmers and such... It isn't quite a "big box" but it comes close. I don't know how their service department is, but suspect it isn't up to the same standards as some of the better small shops.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.