Oak Euphoria

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Was out on the tractor mowing the lawn today and decided to take a peek at my 1.5 year old oak stack for this coming winter. I was expecting 20-24% but it came in at 16-18% on a fresh split! That's obviously not a scientific number since it wasn't ideal measuring conditions but given that its got another whole summer to season I'm a happy camper. I made smaller splits for this rack so I could get ahead a year and it payed off. Sitting pretty now with two cords of this oak and two cords of two year old ash/maple for this winter then 8 cords of oak/maple lined up for the next two seasons. A full 3 year cycle.

Gordon cameo!

20220517_160752.jpg

I want to see what the inside of my big stack is right now. My oak has had two summers but I just kept stacking row next to row. Not great for air flow but I got it all to fit. I need a woodshed!

Reactions: RomanW
If you keep a 4" gap between rows, and add sticks (or scrap 2x2 lumber or so) cross two or more stacks at 2/3 the height, you can keep the flow of air while giving rigidity to avoid tumbling stacks.

and i see gordon is keeping a eye out for you:cool:

and i see gordon is keeping a eye out for you:cool:
Guard dog extraordinare.

Recently checked the content of this year's wood and shared I here:

TLDR - it's all 15-18% and ready to go! You can't beat properly seasoned oak in New England! I like to have maple, cherry, and ash to mix in depending on weather, temps, to adjust burn times, etc but oak always the backbone of my season.

That made me wonder. The dry summer made a big difference as last year it was still 22 pct or so.

My 6*7 ft stack of three summers old oak shorties.

Consistently below 15 pct. These were 5" thick (but 11" long) pieces.

IMG_20220920_163517673.jpg IMG_20220920_163442245.jpg

That made me wonder. The dry summer made a big difference as last year it was still 22 pct or so.

My 6*7 ft stack of three summers old oak shorties.

Consistently below 15 pct. These were 5" thick (but 11" long) pieces.

View attachment 299206 View attachment 299207
5" thick are definitely a bit more wet on the inside but probably within limits if the outside is reading 15%. Not worth splitting them more just burn baby!

That was resplit, measured on the inside...

That was resplit, measured on the inside...
Well then, disregard my comment lol. I didn't catch that part!

Looks like we're gonna be nice and warm this season. I'm also looking forward to being able to use both arms this time.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yeah. I look forward to seeing how such oak burns. Haven't had the chance yet.

How are the upper extremities?

This will be my first year of burning actually seasoned oak. In years past, I just didn’t have the time to get as ahead as I would like. Just tested some 2 year old red oak yesterday at 15%. I have close to 3 cords of it ready to go for this year, to go along with the black birch, locust and cherry. It’s going to be a hot winter in my house 🥵

Not a problem. Either burn less wood for the same temp, or crank it up and have the significant other wear summer clothing.

Reactions: Butfumbl3
Yeah. I look forward to seeing how such oak burns. Haven't had the chance yet.

How are the upper extremities?
Overall better but still dealing with things. I'm able to work and I even golfed the other day I just am still weaker and get tired and sore fast. I had a cortisone shot in both arms about 1.5 months ago as I've developed tendonitis in both rotator cuffs. I'm also getting another MRI in a few weeks to check for a possible SLAP tear. Hoping there isn't any more damage and it's just healing pain but we'll see. Knew it was going to be a long process when it happened and here we are almost 10 months later. Year 2 should be better.

just moved about 2 cord of oak someone gave me. 4 foot lengths about 12 to 14 inch round. heavy stuff.

This gives me some hope for my oak that has been stacked since early summer. Wondering if the drought sped up drying a little bit — doubt it, but one can dream. Gonna do a split tomorrow when I mow the lawn and report back.