Oak Firewood Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ScottLewis

Nov 20, 2023
Madison County NC
My girlfriend owns this house in Weaverville NC. This tree went down 2 days ago. My brother and I went down there today and wacked up 2 truckloads of wood. Zero rot.
We got the smaller stuff today, but there are 2 more truckloads of the big stuff to get. We will be back on Friday to mop up. I think this might be chestnut oak, not sure.

IMG_1764.JPG IMG_1779.JPG IMG_1783.JPG IMG_1787.JPG

Nice. Beautiful wood. But dark for what I have seen in oak - but I haven't seen all...

Next time, take your safety glasses with you? (And chaps.)

If it's chestnut oak you can smell it for sure.

My girlfriend owns this house in Weaverville NC. This tree went down 2 days ago. My brother and I went down there today and wacked up 2 truckloads of wood. Zero rot.
We got the smaller stuff today, but there are 2 more truckloads of the big stuff to get. We will be back on Friday to mop up. I think this might be chestnut oak, not sure.

View attachment 324135 View attachment 324136 View attachment 324137 View attachment 324138
Perfect access. Right next to the driveway.

It is definitely oak. There are chestnut oak, as well as regular oak leaves on the ground there. On Friday I will inspect the small branches and see if I can find a leaf from this tree. There are lots of chestnut oak nuts on the ground and it looks like Chestnut Oak. I never have cut up any chestnut oak before.

"Perfect access. Right next to the driveway." Yes sir. The Number One question, when deciding if it is good firewood or not, especially up here in these mountains, is "Can you drive your truck right up to the tree?"
I ain't hauling firewood and I don't care what it is, I ain't hauling firewood 100 feet up a steep hill.

it has a very distinctive smell, you would notice when cutting it up.

Sweet score. Doesn't get much easier than that! Get it stacked up and you'll have some oak magic in 3 years. Maybe 2 down south?

I would definitely throw in some sort of eye protection though, even just some basic sunglasses. Lots of stuff flying around when processing and you only get 2 eyes.

I have clear, yellow, and dark anti fog Orr XP safety glasses. My brother in-law gets them free at work so I'm a bit spoiled but they are only $10 or so. Comfortable, take the glare out, and have saved my butt plenty of times. I probably use the yellows the most they are good for cloudy days.

Reactions: BobcatBranch
Sweet score. Doesn't get much easier than that! Get it stacked up and you'll have some oak magic in 3 years. Maybe 2 down south?

I would definitely throw in some sort of eye protection though, even just some basic sunglasses. Lots of stuff flying around when processing and you only get 2 eyes.

I have clear, yellow, and dark anti fog Orr XP safety glasses. My brother in-law gets them free at work so I'm a bit spoiled but they are only $10 or so. Comfortable, take the glare out, and have saved my butt plenty of times. I probably use the yellows the most they are good for cloudy days.
Does the dust from the chips blow around those glasses? That's why i don't wear them, the dust seems to somehow get sucked around the glasses and right into my eyes.

Does the dust from the chips blow around those glasses? That's why i don't wear them, the dust seems to somehow get sucked around the glasses and right into my eyes.
I rarely have a problem with it. Only way to fully prevent that would be a face shield or strap on glasses. Id even just throw on a pair of Oakleys over doing nothing though just to avoid a direct hit from bark or chip or stick or a rogue piece of metal from the chain or in the log.

On this side-thread of safety glasses, does anyone have glasses they like that fit over regular eyeglasses? I know you can get custom prescription safety glasses (e.g. for sports) but those get pretty expensive.

I have several pairs of shooting glasses that I've collected over the years. These are decent in lieu of safety glasses.

I have several pairs of shooting glasses that I've collected over the years. These are decent in lieu of safety glasses.
Yeah I've got some shooting glasses, safety glasses, plain old cheap sunglasses, I've even worn my old ski goggles on super bright and cold days. Ski goggles are sneaky amazing as they fully seal your eyes they are just hot to wear unless it's cold out. Any form of eye protection is good against flying shrapnel and better than nothing.

Reactions: BobcatBranch
Does the face shield fog up in warmer weather?

Yeah i thought they were mesh but i saw some youtubes with plastic shields. Wasn't sure what the newer ones use now? Thanks

I didn’t wear any kind of eye protection for years while chainsawing. About 5 years back I got a corneal abrasion from a wood chip while using the chainsaw. Ever since then I either wear safety glasses or my felling helmet. It has the mesh face shield. It’s an Oregon brand

Yep that's chestnut oak. You'll be really happy with that in a few years.