Oak Firewood Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Anyone use this one? $27
Odds are the ones at home depot comes from the same third world country as most of the cheap one (including the Labonville's I linked to. I got ten years on mine before the screen got rusty and the helmet started cracking from swinging the earmuffs up and down. There are custom forestry helmets out there that go for 100s of dollars but thats for arborists who use them full time. I got certified at one point for the National Park Service and we were required to run the helmet with the screen and safety glasses. I know I have saved my self from getting thunked a few times from branches coming down.

I think for guys like me cutting firewood in the driveway safety glasses are adequate. If I were in the woods doing any work I'd definitely wear a helmet though. Still may get one for fun tho.

I drop trees and think i'd like the screen vs glasses so will probably get this one.

It handy the have the earmuffs right there flipped up when you do not need them.

Great score with the Chestnut Oak...one of my favs...I'm burning some right now.

Reactions: stoveliker
We got 2 more truck loads yesterday, and there is no more. I have cut up lots of white oak, and red oak as well. I have never cut chestnut oak before but I am beginning to like it. Easy to split. It has a great, funky smell. On this particular tree, zero rot. I split a whole truck load 2 days ago, no rot at all.

IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1802.JPG

When people you see wearing a felling helmet while blocking up firewood they think you look bonafid

I wear my saw pants and helmet when cutting wood. I think I look EXTRA bona fide.
I hit myself in the shin about 20 years ago and it was a nad hair away from a total life disaster so after that I have always wore chaps, got sick of those and just bought pants.

Yeah. I've been meaning to get one for a while actually. Good reminder. Back when I first started burning money was tight but now I have no excuse and should pick one up.
It takes exactly one experience with a kickback to the face to wear a helmet. Same with chaps.

Reactions: ozarkoak