OAK - My dealers perspective.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed last night that I am hotter sitting in my recliner this year then last.....I actually had it set a few degrees warmer on the stove last year....so stove turned down a few degrees and I am warmer......could it be the OAK???? :) LOL It is, it is! YEAH!!!!

Jim H. said:
I noticed last night that I am hotter sitting in my recliner this year then last.....I actually had it set a few degrees warmer on the stove last year....so stove turned down a few degrees and I am warmer......could it be the OAK???? :) LOL It is, it is! YEAH!!!!

canstock3979207.jpg

Well my OAK finally came in and I just finished installing it. My first impression is that the flame seems more vigorous and whiter which I think is good. I will post later regarding any improvements in room temperature and hopefully the end of the cool drafts circulating throughout the room. I would really like to seal off the gaps on the Santa Fe to prevent the room air from getting in the combustion chamber. Anyone have any tips on how to do that. On the Santa Fe there are gaps running along the bottom edge of each side panel.

I use OAK for one simple reason.........without it all your doing is taking the air in your house that u already heated and sending it outside

gerryger said:
Well my OAK finally came in and I just finished installing it. My first impression is that the flame seems more vigorous and whiter which I think is good. I will post later regarding any improvements in room temperature and hopefully the end of the cool drafts circulating throughout the room. I would really like to seal off the gaps on the Santa Fe to prevent the room air from getting in the combustion chamber. Anyone have any tips on how to do that. On the Santa Fe there are gaps running along the bottom edge of each side panel.

Can you snap some pictures and start a new thread named OAKing a Quad Santa Fe by posting those pictures and asking for advise. Never having seen the insides of the beast with covers off or open, the OAK installed, and those gaps you are talking about I'd be afraid I might suggest something that would also hurt the convection airflow.

There are tons of sources of metal plate and high temperature sealants that can be used , but you might want something that can be removed.

High temp silicone or the 3M high temp tape (shiny stuff) will do a good job. Wont see temps over 500* where its located.

Did your stove have to use the long "J" looking bracket in the kit? I just fixed a forum members Santa Fe and could have gave them them the bracket they needed, but threw the rest of the kit out (stupid, I know). Then they would have just needed to by a simple $30 OAK. Oh well.

I guess all those high efficiency NG furnaces that were installed in the last 25 years should have their outside air intakes rerouted into the home... obviously Lennox, Rheem, etc have no idea how to design/install a heating appliance.

The OP's dealer is living in the past...

If you have multiple appliances in your home that need oxygen to operate...water heater, dryer, furnace, etc (not to mention people!) they all compete for the available oxygen... if you add a pellet stove to the mix there could be a shortage of oxygen. maybe not in a drafty old barn but in a well insulated home... you can figure out the consequences yourself.

DexterDay said:
High temp silicone or the 3M high temp tape (shiny stuff) will do a good job. Wont see temps over 500* where its located.

Did your stove have to use the long "J" looking bracket in the kit? I just fixed a forum members Santa Fe and could have gave them them the bracket they needed, but threw the rest of the kit out (stupid, I know). Then they would have just needed to by a simple $30 OAK. Oh well.

No I did not need the "Channel Bracket". It also came with a couple of plates that I did not need also. Can't see paying for these items if they are not required. Also the 2" flex hose that came with the kit was not long enough. I had to order a new 5' piece. The total cost for everything was about $140. How could I have done this for $30. I wanted to build my own but couldn't find 2" flex duct anywhere. I had to buy the longer 5' flex from the person who sold me the kit (e-bay).

I'll try that 3m high temp tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.