Oak Wilt Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 28, 2022
UP
I have some going on three years and it still pisses and sizzles out the end. I cut a white oak in July 2015 and when I cut it water literaly poured out of the notch cut. There were no leaves on the tree. Thought it dead. It was. Seems to never dry. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited:
Queequeg I love the way you throw that harpoon. Be careful! That white whale has a bad attitude.

I have some going on three years and it still pisses and sizzles out the end. I cut a white oak in July 2015 and when I cut it water literaly poured out of the notch cut. There were no leaves on the tree. Thought it dead. It was. Seems to never dry. Anyone else notice this?
How big are those sizzling splits? How dead was the tree when you cut it? I have my eye on a couple, but I'm not expecting water to pour out when I cut 'em. Not sure what killed them, wilt or something else? I bet all the branches of this one are fairly dry..
PXL_20221206_155730756.jpg

Split was about 3-4 inches. It was not from the white oak. It was from a red oak from out back. Didn't really sizzle but could see it was turning wet on the end on one side.

It was not from the white oak. It was from a red oak from out back. Didn't really sizzle but could see it was turning wet on the end on one side.
Oh, OK. Huge splits that were doing that?

Oak is a closed cell wood, takes awhile to dry, but… you will occasionally get a sizzle on known dry stuff, I have white oak that will measure 16% on a fresh split face that will still sizzle (no visual bubbles) when 1st thrown in the stove.

In a quest for quick seasoning oak, I dropped a white oak wilt die off. It had been leafless for two years, and defoliated in one year - quicker than usual wilt die off. Sap wood was all punk, heartwood was solid. Moisture was high, but I suspect syrup was low, somehow displaced with excess water to the max capacity of the grain. Cut, split off all punk, rough split and put under cover. A small wrist sized experimental section of split dried out quicker than usual. Don’t know if the loss of amber reduces btu.

All oaks season longer than other woods.. Oak really needs to be top covered or better yet in a shed.. I burn primarily oak, probably 80% of my 14 cords. Oak if in a shed will be ready in 18 months. My splits are not small either, like 5x5 inches all really dry non that sizzle

Things that help are... in the sun, prevailing winds going through the stacks, and rain never touching them

Reactions: Stove Cricket