October heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
Just as I cleaned the stove and chimney, mew door gasket, loaded the wood rack in the garage! We’re getting that first week of October heat wave. Seems like every year here without fail we have a hot beginning of October. Highs 70s and humid. I’m so ready to light the first fire and do some real cutting in the woods! Anyone else patiently waiting??

Yes. And keep on stacking and top covering!

Agreed. I was sitting in the stand swatting buffalo gnats.....while trying not to stick out like a sore thumb.... that were attacking every orifice of my head this evening thinking, "Dear lord bring on the first frost". 74 here today and ready for cold weather.

80s here by the weekend - you know- Wisconsin, arctic tundra. The wood cart by the stove is stocked and ready, stove is cleaned, chimney brushed, supply of unsplit rounds ready for when the snow flies and I'm landlocked to the yard.
Need a gilly suit for the gnats. Confuses the heck out of them. But then again it's too warm for that too.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Just as I cleaned the stove and chimney, mew door gasket, loaded the wood rack in the garage! We’re getting that first week of October heat wave. Seems like every year here without fail we have a hot beginning of October. Highs 70s and humid. I’m so ready to light the first fire and do some real cutting in the woods!
Mother Nature is a trickster. If you want cooler weather earlier, don't sweep your chimney or do your stove maintenance, and she'll slap ya with an early cold snap. ;)

Got my 4'x4' rack in the basement locked and loaded. Also have all my stacks top covered, it's soaking wet here. Brought my tools up, we're ready! Hasn't kicked on get but the heat pump will prly do its thing for a couple weeks before we burn. It's very efficient down to 40.

20211001_195538.jpg

Just as I cleaned the stove and chimney, mew door gasket, loaded the wood rack in the garage! We’re getting that first week of October heat wave. Seems like every year here without fail we have a hot beginning of October. Highs 70s and humid. I’m so ready to light the first fire and do some real cutting in the woods! Anyone else patiently waiting??
Agreed, October has become more of an extension of Summer than the onset of Fall - at least in the Northeast. I remember in the 70's most of the trees were bare by late October but now that has been pushed well into November.

Yes I am patiently waiting!

Similar story here. Moved wood into the garage rack and top covered this years 5 cords. 81 out right now with no cold for the next couple weeks.

Reactions: DiBurn90
Agreed, October has become more of an extension of Summer than the onset of Fall - at least in the Northeast. I remember in the 70's most of the trees were bare by late October but now that has been pushed well into November.

Yes I am patiently waiting!
Yup! Looking out into the woods out back and it’s pretty much still green everywhere. The bugs have been so bad lately! Crossing my fingers for some frost!

We are just starting to get the first batch of trees changing colors in Northeast MA. It's about 2 weeks behind the "normal" which is really sad because "normal" even seems messed up.

Unfortunately the long term forecast is for a very warm October in this area - and not a hint of frost in the 10 day outlook.

There is hope here for it might turn cold in Pa in Oct because you people have had a lot of rain this season I think and that dampness might make it a bit chilly...Weather has been fickle but we had some beautiful days and I just bet you have had too...clancey

weather man on tv was just saying that if you are looking to do a little leaf peeping the colors are slow to the tune of 2 to 3 weeks this year

I live in Central MA and this is the forecast...it's unseasonably warm. It should be 50s and maybe a 60 day or two. I haven't even tagged my maples for tapping yet. I usually wait until the leaves start to change as the Maples turn first and stand out in the woods.

Screenshot_20211007-092644_Weather.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang those temps are even warmer than our predicted temps futher East in MA. I don't have the data to support it, but I really think October has tended to be way above average for many years around here - more so than other months. I remember a few years ago we were running the central AC well into October which is crazy.

I'm basically right off 495 and yeah I agree its definitely been warmer for years now.

Funny, I just found Boston Average temp data and it shows October has not recently deviated as far as I expected from the 20 year average. 2017 was crazy warm but the other 5 recent years were not as warm as I expected.

screenshot_920.jpg

Last edited:
Dang those temps are even warmer than our predicted temps futher East in MA. I don't have the data to support it, but I really think October has tended to be way above average for many years around here - more so than other months. I remember a few years ago we were running the central AC well into October which is crazy.

way above average for many years -> the average has now changed...

Reactions: Grizzerbear
By going back 20 years I figured it would be obvious recent years have been warmer. Probably need to go back further.

Funny, I just found Boston Average temp data and it shows October has not recently deviated as far as I expected from the 20 year average. 2017 was crazy warm but the other 5 recent years were not as warm as I expected.

View attachment 282934

I also think that the city isn't necessarily the best example. The harbor tends to keep the temperatures pretty consistent as the water is still warm.

western Oregon has had some crazy hard rain, and now highs in low 60's and high 50's with some of the lows in the 30's.
My wife bought right in on the wood heat her first time here (10 years ago)- but she now wants a fire in the stove until it is 80! (inside and out!). she mostly likes the ambiance , but she also likes it way too warm .
we have already had 3 fires - 3 days in a row - I light them about 3:00 pm, so it looks like it has been lit all day when she gets home from work.
not ready to be fire tending all day yet - still on projects, and the 5 year old pile of white Oak needs finished split.
warm house in the am is nice, I have to admit. the cat doesn't leave the Hearth until I put her food down!
I will have to start looking for more wood next spring, once I have that oak put away for 2024!

I also think that the city isn't necessarily the best example. The harbor tends to keep the temperatures pretty consistent as the water is still warm.
Even the Worcester temp data does not agree with "anecdotal evidence". Ony 2017 stands out as being a really warm October in the past 8 years relative to the 20 year average. Like Stoveliker said, the average has changed but it just seems like October has been warmer during recent years.

screenshot_921.jpg

We are suppose to hit 90 here this saturday which will nearly be a record. Man that's depressing. We then have a chance of severe storms Sunday night into Monday as a cool front moves in and puts us back in normal temps for this time of year. I do see a day in the ten day forecast.....the tenth day lol....that hints at a pretty good cool down for us with 46 for a low and mid 60s for a high so hopefully it won't be much longer. We normally have our first frost around the twentieth or so of this month as well and I'm ready. As far as averages changing....yea they have definitely went up.

I'm just looking forward to shutting down the bedroom window AC unit and basement dehumidifier once we start getting some freezing temperatures.

Reactions: EbS-P
I'm just looking forward to shutting down the bedroom window AC unit and basement dehumidifier once we start getting some freezing temperatures.
That's fair. I guess my point explains the few degree difference between the two cities but you're right there's really no statistical increase.

Frosty white roof this morning. We’re in heating season in WA.