Odd Pieces/Rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Viktonka

Jul 29, 2022
USA
Hi all,

New to burning. Came across what I think is a great deal for dry wood even though they arent the nice splits. Attached are some pictures. These are rounds that didn't make the cut for processing and are dry. Mostly oak with some birch and maple. Think it would be a hassle loading/burning into a normal size stove? Figure could be good shoulder season wood and if needed use the old fiskars to split them up a bit. These are larger chunks of wood, good for longer burns on top of coals is my thinking. Any thoughts/insight are appreciated.

123_1 (1).jpeg 123_1.jpeg

I see a mixed bag of stuff in there. Id burn it in my fireplace, not sure I would try my wood stove as Im also new and trying to figure out optimal burns and how well the stove is working. That would be an extra variable I wouldnt want to mess with right now. Unless it was dirt cheap, I personally would pass because I wouldnt want the variable. Unless you have no option, and need wood to heat your place then hey - anything is ideal

Depends on the price but it would have to be really cheap. You wouldn't be able to really pack the firebox with those pieces.

I sometimes burn stuff like this on a refill during the shoulder season. Some of these dense, gnarly pieces can burn steadily for hours.

Reactions: StudlyHogly
If you buy this, note that it might not be as dry as it looks - knotty pieces, and then unsplit i.e. covered in bark, dry a lot slower than split wood.

If it is dry, then knotty pieces indeed burn long. They are very dense. I do the same as begreen: on days where I am on a reload schedule between 12 and 24 hrs, I load some oddly shaped stuff to tide me over to the next full (packed split) reload at the end of the evening.

Good wood. If it's dry. (And cheap.)