Odor Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PK44

Mar 14, 2017
New York
Hi everyone

Moved into a house with a Quadra-Fire Cumberland Gap and before firing it up I had a chimney sweep to start the season. I'm getting an unusual smell from this stove that's hard to describe. The smell is very inconsistent and usually begins once I close the start up control. At first I thought the smell was burning off dust but performing what I thought was a good cleaning, the smell persists. It's not a smoke smell and while I also thought it could be the wood itself, the wood is seasoned and speaking to others that buy from this place they have no issues. It hasn't been painted recently so that rules that out. The smell is much easier to detect upstairs compared to the ground level.

One thing I noticed during the chimney cleaning, they pulled out the fiber blanket and shook it out but it looked like it's seen better days. Can an old ceramic blanket cause odors such as this? Any other ideas?

Really appreciate the help!

Although difficult - without some idea of what the smell is like, it could be few things. Paint/chemical/creosote/smoke/dust burning/mold could all come from the stove in one form or another.

How tall is the chimney? Do you live in a valley? Its odd that you smell it upstairs more than downstairs, where the stove is.

Thanks for the replies. First stove so I'm not sure what creosote smells like. It's a harsh wood smell to some degree and I'm pretty sure I'm burning properly as I get great temps and no visible smoke out of the chimney. I live in a split so the chimney is only 20 feet tops. The 2nd level is not above the wood stove.

I live in a split so the chimney is only 20 feet tops. The 2nd level is not above the wood stove.

My bet is that you are getting some air infiltration on the upper level, including some exhaust fumes from the stove. Be aware that stove fumes contain a fair amount of bad stuff to breathe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jags, I see what you're saying and it is a possibility. The way the house is designed, the staircase upstairs area is only about 20 feet away from the stove and 6 total steps up. While this could very well be, my gut tells me it's an odor/fume coming from inside the house from the stove itself.... faint downstairs but just more noticeable upstairs.

I think I may call a pro in or just not use it at all, worried about this with my 3 yr old and pregnant wife. I hired a chimney cleaning company before my first use and they DID NOT clean the internal pipe out from the inside, just pushed down from the roof. Not much of anything came out when they did this.

I would be diligent in noticing when it happens. Things like wind direction and speed may be clues to what is happening (or not). It might just take a little "sleuth" work to figure it out.

Are there any types of woods that are much more potent than others? If so, what would help me ID them?

How many fires have you had and how hot did you get the stove? If you don't have a thermometer for the stove and maybe one for the pipe you probably should just to run the stove right. You may be burning off some old stuff slowly if you're not hitting very high temps. Conversely you may be running way too hot which can give off weird smells not to mention lower life of the unit.

I am a supplemental burner and have gone through a cord thus far. The thermometer is a little over a foot up the pipe over the stove and the temps are always in the burn zone 300-500 until coals form where it stays around 250-300 I believe.

I will definitely start being more diligent on what variables are introduced... both outside conditions and even inside with wood type/timing of closing startup/reload damper.

Come to think of it.... sometimes I notice that fires have a tendency to fade quick once I close the startup even after letting it roast for a good while. When this happens I crack the doors a little until it gets where it needs to be but let me be clear that this is not when the smell occurs, in fact this actually helps prevent the odor.

This forum is great, as are all of you so thanks for helping me out.

the wood is seasoned and speaking to others that buy from this place they have no issues.

Come to think of it.... sometimes I notice that fires have a tendency to fade quick once I close the startup

Uh oh, it's time to have "the talk" haha.

It may or may not have anything to do with the problem but the chances of buying dry wood from a dealer is slim. Wet wood could be fouling up the system including the ceramic blanket affecting draft and causing smokey smelly fires.

I have an insert so the right temp for stove pipe is not memorized but is the pipe single wall? You have an idea of how hot the stove top is?

I have a moisture meter and everything I've thrown in this has been around 11-17 off the top of my head. I do not have a thermometer on the stove top.

I have a moisture meter and everything I've thrown in this has been around 11-17 off the top of my head.
Well that's good assuming it was measured correctly. Correctly = room temp. On face (not end) of freshly split piece.

One thing to check is the top of the chimney. Do both flues terminate at the same height? If they do that can be a setup for the lower flue to siphon smoke and odors from the upper flue.

Well that's good assuming it was measured correctly. Correctly = room temp. On face (not end) of freshly split piece.

Yes and yes.

One thing to check is the top of the chimney. Do both flues terminate at the same height? If they do that can be a setup for the lower flue to siphon smoke and odors from the upper flue.

Not sure I understand this. The chimney is a single duct that is capped. The internal pipe is stove to ceiling with one diagonal section, then straight up through a low attic outdoors. I'm new to this but don't think there is more than flue involved....

Not sure I understand this. The chimney is a single duct that is capped. The internal pipe is stove to ceiling with one diagonal section, then straight up through a low attic outdoors. I'm new to this but don't think there is more than flue involved....
My bad, I thought an upstairs fireplace was mentioned, wrong thread. Wondering if they may have shoved the insulation blanket back too far when the put it back in? If so it might be partially blocking the flue outlet.

:) np and thanks. I'm purchasing a new blanket and even trying some different wood to rule them out. Also, after reading the thread tpenny linked I'm wondering if when I purchased the house they painted any part of this stove to make it appear cleaner. I don't think this was done and by now anything from the paint should have cured by now but it's time for ruling things out or I may just lose my mind.

Where is this blanket resting at? Is this a fully lined exhaust system or stub install?

Blanket is flat on the board and both are flush against the back of the stove as listed in the manual. Not sure about the exhaust system.

So I purchased a bag of firewood and gave this a shot. Smell is not as bad but still there. I got as close to this stove with my nose without taking it off and I'm convinced it's coming from the cast iron. It almost smells like burning rust if I had to describe it again. It definitely carries upstairs inside and not out. This is getting frustrating.

If this is how it's going to be I'll be swapping it out before next season.... Love the heat... But this smell isn't right.

If that isn't lined to the top, and is just a stub connection, that may be your problem there.