Of Blaze Kings and Princesses and Lovely Hot Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jager

“They sent the wrong model,†I said.

Even as I said it a tortuous disappointment washed over me. Who knew that you could get so excited by the arrival of a new woodstove? And thence to be struck with such despondent dismay when it all went awry?

“What do you want us to do?†Darwin asked, one hand still holding the heavy cardboard facing he had pulled away from the dark stove atop the pallet.

My mind raced. The forlorn shape of my old The Earth Stove stood there in the darkness on the deck, already pulled out of the house. It was done and I knew it. I wasn’t going to ask them to lift it yet again and put it back.

It was going to be cold tonight. And I’d be leaving in a day to go hunting.

I flashed back to the specs. Would a couple of inches really make that much difference?

“Go ahead and bring it in,†I said, despondency morphing into resolution. “We’ll make it work.â€

Like a lot of things, this all started with only the whiff of a thought. And not a new one at that. Ginny and I had bounced around the idea of getting a new woodstove for years. As usual, I just didn’t want to spend the money.

But then there was that Saturday a few weeks ago, right on the cusp of what I now know serious wood burners call ‘the shoulder season.’ A few clicks on Google and I sat there looking at an Osburn 1800. Sixteen, seventeen hundred bucks. Not cheap. But not outrageous either. And the more I looked at that stove with its nice glass front the more I said hmm.

I could see us sitting there on a cold January day with a pretty little fire going behind that glass.

Alrighty then.

A little more research and a little more googling tweaked it a bit. I decided upon the Osburn 2300. Then it was just a matter of reading some reviews and finding out where to buy one. That search led me to hearth.com.

I spent a rainy Sunday afternoon mesmerized. After years of burning wood every winter in our old, 70’s-era ‘The Earth Stove,’ I thought I knew everything – the very little bit – anyone needed to know about burning wood in a woodstove.

Au contraire.

Turns out there are layers of subtlety woven into what surely is one of the oldest practices of man. It’s the confluence of art and wisdom and science.

And it turns out I didn’t know jack chit.

I figured the biggest difference in new stoves today – other than having draft controls that work – was that pretty glass door.

Turns out there’s a little more to it than that.

A couple weeks and a bunch of fun hours later – I truly did find all this wood burning lore fascinating – I knew a few more things about it. And I no longer was interested in that Osburn. I have no doubt it’s a nice stove. But I learned a long time ago that when a bunch of really smart people in an arcane art profess a similar opinion, one is wise to listen to them.

And so down the rabbit hole I went.

After that it was just a matter of figuring out the details. The King wouldn’t work because my chimney flue is only 6.†But no worries. There’s the Princess – just a little smaller, and designed for that 6†flue of mine. And still wielding all the magic that Blaze King is famous for.

Now certain of what I wanted, and suddenly committed to biting the financial bullet to get it done, the next speed bump was… there are apparently no authorized Blaze King dealers in Virginia. I had a couple of nice conversations with dealers across the river over in Maryland, and tried calling one in West Virginia, but finally shook my head and said ‘this is crazy.’

I called Blaze King, out in Walla Walla. The nice lady there hooked me up with the East Coast distributor. “No problem,†the friendly fellow there told me. “How’s Fairfax?â€

“That’s perfect,†I said, being as it’s on my way home from work.

And that’s exactly what I did. Tony sent the order the next day.

I ordered the ‘Parlor’ model simply because it was a couple inches shorter than the ‘Ultra’ which first caught my eye. Blaze King recommends 36 inches of vertical rise before you turn your stovepipe towards the wall. I couldn’t make that. Not even close.

And so my consternation ten days later when Darwin and Eric tore away the shipping cardboard of my new stove, now an Ultra, there in the dark with their truck backed up to my deck, wondering what to do.

Bring it in. We’ll make it work.

And so it is that the old ‘The Earth Stove’ is gone. It might have been dirty and it might have burned a mountain of wood in the process, but it brought many an hour of warmth and comfort, standing between us and hurt on how many cold and snowy days. May it rest in peace.

And now ‘The Princess.’ Four hours into her maiden, virgin burn. She’s already amazing. Hell, she might roll this burn all damn winter.

I love her already.

the_earth_stove.jpg

the_princess1.jpg

the_princess2.jpg

Nice looking stove, and an awesome story to boot. Are you a writer ? No, seriously are you?

I see the muse is upon you tonight Jager. Looks nice and sure to be one heck of an upgrade to your "ole reliable". How did you overcome the rise problem?

The king is dead, long live the King!

Curious why you went with 2-45's on the rise instead of 1-90 degree as you had on the old Earth install?

Frostbit said:
Curious why you went with 2-45's on the rise instead of 1-90 degree as you had on the old Earth install?

Two 45s are a lot better for draft.

BrowningBAR said:
Frostbit said:

Two 45s are a lot better for draft.
+ 1especially since hes got such a short run . how long is your chimney jager ?

Den said:
Nice narrative. However, I must point out that BK's don't use magic. . .they use advanced alien technology. (Woodstocks use magic. . .they're made by elves.) :) Enjoy!

We need to get the elves and the aliens to start working together.

Welcome to the club of hassle free wood burning.

I'm sure you know this but you could put the stove much closer to the walls. Mine has 7-8" between the wall and corner of the stove. No protection on the walls, just drywall. Gets warm to touch, but nothing HOT, maybe 100*

NATE379 said:
I'm sure you know this but you could put the stove much closer to the walls. Mine has 7-8" between the wall and corner of the stove. No protection on the walls, just drywall. Gets warm to touch, but nothing HOT, maybe 100*

That hearth is in a cut out portion of the wood floor. It's not going anywhere. :)

Aye, the reason I went with two 45's instead of a single 90 was because of the better draft. My biggest - and really only - angst with getting this new stove was worrying about whether I could get a good enough draft while running it on those long, low burns. With a 90 I could only get about two feet of rise before the elbow. With the dual 45's I only have about one foot - way below the three foot minimum BK recommends. I did use double-wall stovepipe in addition to the dual 45's to give me every possible edge.

My old stove was so poorly controlled - almost binary in nature, either full on or full off - that I honestly didn't have a very good sense for how decently, or not, my chimney (which is something around 15' from the cap to the thimble) would draw.

I was encouraged when I lit off the virgin fire this afternoon. Worst-case conditions: cold stove, cold flue, no ashes in the box, warmish outside. But it took off immediately and did really well. Burned great all afternoon. So I don't really know just yet that I did in fact fix the rise problem. I simply stacked the couple things I could in my favor. More time will tell the tale. But I'm encouraged.

Right now it's doing a slow cruise at around '0' on the t-stat. No flames, of course, but it's still midway up in the Active zone. It's just a pleasure to sit here and feel the slow heat come off the thing. And wonder what I'll have tomorrow morning (the only way you could end up with enough coals overnight on my old stove so that you didn't have to work on building a fresh fire was to really stuff its cavernous wood box).

And, yeah, Shawn, I do indeed spin a few words now and again... Thanks. ;-)

Nice looking install. Too bad they screwed up and sent the wrong model but I'm sure you will be pleased with the performance anyways.

BrowningBAR said:
NATE379 said:

That hearth is in a cut out portion of the wood floor. It's not going anywhere. :)

Exactly right... ;-)

if all is working well just leave it. i thought to maybe you could move it closer to the wall. but ur hearth would not let that happen. but looks like it maybe working just fine for ya.

Yes, he is a writer.
There is more than a whim behind those words.

Nice Princess, Jager. Happy Warming to you and yours.

You dun good Jager. With the post and the stove. Thats the same baby I got. Congratulations. Your heating world will now be simplified.
Cheers!

Great story.
It still amazes me how such an ugly stove looks so good. :)
Looks almost exactly like mine, just a bit smaller.
Good install.
Quite an evolutionary jump, welcome to the catalytic world & long burn times :)

Well, my first overnight was terrific.

Seems to me the most counter-intuitive thing about these new high-efficiency stoves is the amount of wood you put in is NOT related to how much heat you want to get out of it. You just load 'er up and let the t-stat regulate the output. Even with that knowledge, though, I couldn't bring myself to do it. It only dropped into the forties last night - hell, that's a heat wave for some of you guys! - and my old stove would have had us pitching a tent out in the yard. So I equivocated...

I took a small split and pulled the coals to the front of the stove, just like I've read here to do. Then I laid three or four splits N/S in the stove, just enough to cover the bed - again, like I've read here to do. Then another couple of of medium size splits on top of that. I'd say I had the firebox maybe half full.

That was at 7:30pm. Let it cruise all night on '0.' Eleven hours later and I come downstairs to find a pleasant living room and the stove still up maybe a quarter of the way in the Active zone. I dial up the t-stat from '0' to '1' and go make the coffee. When I come back in five minutes there's a nice, lovely flame edging around the remaining wood. I'll wait an hour and then put a few more splits in.

This is grand...

Jager, very nice post.
The looks of those BK's are starting to grow on me. :ahhh: I prefer the ultra look over the parlor.
Now, to just ante up the needed funds (and see how the better half likes it)!
I could possibly cut my wood use in half or better. :drools:

Jager said:
Seems to me the most counter-intuitive thing about these new high-efficiency stoves is the amount of wood you put in is NOT related to how much heat you want to get out of it. You just load 'er up and let the t-stat regulate the output.

It's not the high efficiency stoves that do that, its the blaze king stoves :p
Most other stoves are regulated by the amount of wood like you say... Especially since you always want a hot fire, so if you need a little bit of heat you make a small hot fire...
But not so with a blaze king.

Congratulations,nice install and stove ,you're going to love it,good idea to go with 2 45's without them it's hard to dial it down,they put a 90 in mine and 1.5 is as low as I can go. I'm going to change it though and go with the 45's. Nothing can compare,slowly makin a believer out of me and this in only November. Good luck.

Jager said:
Well, my first overnight was terrific.

It only dropped into the forties last night - hell, that's a heat wave for some of you guys!

Well it was in the 40s for us too last night and this AM. But the -40s.
ENJOY :)

north of 60 said:
Well it was in the 40s for us too last night and this AM. But the -40s.

and i thought dark at 5 was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.