# of Cord men?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
babalu87, you like the Jonsered saws??

For this winter in my location we have had 3.8% more degree days than last winter and 7.9% less than normal.

I'm guessing at about 4 1/2 cord so far. I figure about 1/2 more will finish up the season. I don't think the warmer weather we had this year really did much as far as saving me wood. The stove has been burning pretty much full time since mid-september or so.

Harley, your in the same boat as me, basically non stop since mid September..But I burned almost 6 full I would say

Adirondackwoodburner said:
babalu87, you like the Jonsered saws??

Yes, my father still has the one he bought when I was in my teens (I am now 40) so I figured if it was good enough for him........
I have had it since I moved into the house 10 years ago but it has been a real workhorse the last three years.

Looks like around 3 cords here in Michigan. That is the least amount I can ever remember for here. Now with Todd posting 1/3 less after installing a Fireview next year will be interesting as we are installing one this summer.

Wood cut for future: approximately 17 cords of maple, oak, cherry, elm, and one cord of birch that we will sell. Winter doesn't scare us!

yeah, that is what happened to me with my rainier, which I was loading W-E..I can fit close to a 20" piece N-S in my Olympic, but this spring I am bucking everything to 16"...easier to handle and I can keep the fire in the middle to back of the stove eliminating black soot buildup on the glass.

OK...I didn't burn much at all this year, but I still look at any fallen or standing deadwood as "that piece will heat my house for "this" many hours.
Anyone else?

My buddy works for the county...on lunch I just filled a ranger with a good load to bring home. I will probably get at least 3 more this week...all in all I would guess its a little over a cord after its all split and stacked. Not a great score but can't load the truck too much since I have to get it home 15 miles one way in rush hour. When its close to home I can fit a half a cord overloading the truck...lets just say its not pretty. Oh, and slllooooowww we go. Thats when I hall wood out of the acreage about 3 blocks from the house. Happy scrounging to all!!!

I love to hear scrounging stories.they are the best. I ahve a really good deal going. My buddy and I and a couple of other run an on the side tree removal business. We down, buck and chip everything..We win on both ends, charge for taking the trees down, then the majority of the time the landowner deoesnt want it so we take it and either A. Use it for our own firewood or B. Split it and sell it as firewood..

I ahve a property with 50 acres, a mixture of hardwood/softwood and havent had to fell a single tree yet!

I'll finish the season out with just under 4 cords burned. I'm at about 3.5 and most likely will only be burning nights unless we get a cold streak. I need to get started on next years batch but I'm swamped with work. we're ready to launch in the next week or 2 so my spring is going to be crazy busy.

SFCA LAUNCH?? Boats?? I'm in that business also. Dont have any time in the spring!!

Never mind, looked at your link.. Good luck!

what does SFCA stand for?

oops typo (elk) scfa

and..it means?

Another day, another load of maple. This ones a little on the heavy side. On my way home yesterday (when the truck was empty) I picked up a load of ash about 10 blocks from home. I went from...wow I gotta get going with the scrounging to...wow, I gotta start splitting!!!

well, that is a good feeling I would say..Split by hand or you have a splitter?

I have the maul, a chopper 1 axe with the springs, but my pride and joy is the speedco splitter. It is the same as the Husky. 22tons but the motor is a 6.5hp vs 5 and larger resivior for the fluid. I run hydro-trans fluid so I can split in the cold. No one wants to split in the heat! After 6 years of hand splitting 5-6 cords I decided that the grand for it didn't look so bad anymore. I have split oak, elm, apple, shagbark hickory, maple, and some stuff no one could identify. Never a problem for me. I see them go for 850 used on ebay so how can you go wrong? I will use it for probably another 3-5 years then sell it and buy a new one again.

exellent..I jsut purchased a used MTD yardman 33 ton with a 7 or 8hp on it..$350 off a buddy. cant go wrong with that price either. Tell me more about running hydro-trans fluid?? what is the standard fluid in them?

I don't remember the exacts but basically its a hydrolic (sp) oil for tractor transmissions...its a multi weight viscosity so that it will run thru the pump in the cold. I'm in Wisconsin and have used it down to about 10 degrees a few times. The other thing is use mobile 1 multi weight in the engine. You can actually pull start it in the cold. I used 30 weight to break the motor in and wow what a difference upon break-in. I have had the splitter 2 1/2 years or so and changed to mobil 1 after about 8 tanks of gas. Still running the same oil in it. It runs cooler so it doesn't break down. Have split at least 16 cords between mine and friends. Probably will change it out in winter. It only holds like a quart and a half so it is not a lot of money...the drain plug is in a bad place...no way to pipe it out. Thinking of trying the rubber hose extension. Good luck!!!

hmm.interesting. maybe i will try it. The Mobile 1 is 100% synthetic correct?

Yep, like 4 bucks a quart. I thought its a new motor give it a whirl and it really does spin easier. It also warms up easier. For say 8 bucks in oil its not a costly mistake if you don't think its worth it. Look at some of the info on simpletractors.com. These guys use it in 30 year old tractors and swear by it. I think its in the commonly asked question part. That way its not the amsoil guy making claims. One of the other members uses it too. Do a search to try and find it. To me its worth it that I don't have to dink around to get it started in the cold.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
and..it means?

sorry i'm a little cryptic, getitnext.com is about to launch, my partners and i have been working on it for over a year (in our spare time in addition to our regular jobs and families). its been a long haul but we've been attracting alot of attention lately.

regarding scfa just an old nickname, really boring story. its pronounced scuffa, say it out loud. someday when we have a topic of nicknames i'll get into it.

boat gets launched in may.

3-4 cord. probly closer to 4. Got at least that much left. Gonna try to stay 2 years head.

Status
Not open for further replies.