Off Grid Cabin Renovation - Texas Hill Country

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Heck that is a nice off grid cabin and has lots of potential and the first thing I would do is fully insulate it and figure out how to get window fans in some of the windows maybe some kind of generator for electricity but I would insulate it...As far as a stove for heat there are more experience people on here that know about stoves--I know very little..But enjoy your cabin..clancey

Reactions: haber bosch
Stove Update. I ended up installing a Century S250. After using it several times this winter in weather with highs of high 40s and lows right around freezing, here are my thoughts:

1. The S250 is a little underpowered for my situation, with no ceiling and roof and gable vents. It definitely makes the cabin habitable (and cooking on it is fun), but you have to stay rather close to get the radiant heat, but it does heat the immediate area around the stove up 20 degrees or so which is liveable. kids have to stay pretty bundled up.

2. The firebox is a bit small for the gnarled bendy kinds of wood natural to the area (cedar, live oak, and similar brush types). It is working out, but just barely.

3. The installer (against my instructions) did not use the ceiling box that I provided to be installed into the open ceiling joists (no ceiling as of now), so its a straight run up from the stove pipe, to the transition to the chimney pipe right at 8', up to the roof bracket/collar at 10', with 18" of chimney above that. They are now in Ukraine so I doubt I will see them again. I suppose if I ever re-install the ceiling (right now it is open ceiling joists), I suppose I will need to install the box, but how concerned should I be about support as of today? To the touch everything seems solid with no wiggle.

If I had to do over I would go up a stove size both for woodbox fit for bent wood, and for increased btus. I'm not concerned about overheating in summer as I wont burn at all once it gets warmer (spring temps go to low of 50s high of 80s pretty quick, and then summer temps).

I am however enjoying the stove a lot and am glad I went with a view window model as it is very satisfying. Also, I figure if I ever install insulation it should be just right, so thinking more about that.

thanks for everybody's feedback.

IMG_1238 (2).jpgIMG_0294 (2).jpgIMG_1415.jpg

Thanks for coming back to update this thread. It looks like you’ve made some nice improvements on the cabin.

If an attic floor was put in, that would greatly reduce the area heated and increase storage space.

For such a small firebox and having to have the kids bundled up, you might go for something like the 30NC for an easy upgrade.