Off the grid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd share my impressions on this place I visited last Sunday. I went and helped this guy in the potter's guild flatten a piece of ground to accept a floating slab foundation for a pottery kiln (actually as many as 3-4 kilns, plus other stuff- 16'x32'). Put in a good day with the shovel etc.

He had the most beautiful property I ever saw. His driveway was maybe as long as 1/4 mile through woods, past field and a small swamp area- all his. As you drive up- there are these cool handmade ceramic "houses" that were made by his former students along the way. The main property was a valleyish meadow with other patches of grassy areas and a large garden. Big thick piled stone walls were expertly crafted. There are trellises made of trees from the property just peeled of bark, and lots of lilacs and fruit tree plantings (lilac is the state flower- every farm has them here). He sees all manner of local wildlife migrate through his yard on a daily basis- including deer, turkey, black bear, moose, and the occasional bobcat. he said there a couple miles by maybe a few miles of basically unbroken woods and fields there. Much of his land he's somehow put into a conservation easement as a wildlife corridor, which probably greatly helps on taxes.

The house was small, but 2 story and very-very nice, natural wood, with a cement floor. One side was built against a hill with a root cellar accesible through a door to the kitchen, and the other side of the house was dominated by an attached greenhouse. He heats the whole house for the year in NH on less than 2 cord of wood! The studio is a separate building of similar construction with big picture windows to let in lots of sun. The furniture is all wooden antique or handmade from just logs from the property and there's art and pottery of all sorts throughout- most gifted from friends and students through the years (I recognized several potters just by style-an impressive collection).

He's completely off the grid and has been since he moved to the property in the 70's. (just happens that power never made it out there, so he didn't pay to have it put in. This house has solar tricity and hot water, but he says that he could do with another panel that he cannot afford for tricity. He is what I'd term "functionally poor" - living within his means by controling his lifestyle. To visit, however- it's so tidy and incredibly thought out- there's no impression of want. I think he's happy as hell and has friends that drop by on a regular basis. Signs going up his driveway forbid hunting (hey- his choice), but tell you to stop and visit the woods there.

Anyway- I have cell pics that I'd post of it, but can't figure that out so well (and my cell takes poor pics since my wife ran it over with my car). I'll figure that out. I was pretty inspired- seeing it done so well for so long. I don't know what that property would go for now, or what the taxes would be. Got to wait for my ship to come in and would still have to compromise for the sake of the wife. (roughing it for her is not knowing where the closest Banana Republic is).

Very cool. How great would it be to be off grid . . . not sure if I could do it, though. I would like to see some photos.

Sounds like paradise, AP...think the wife would have a few "issues" with trying to live like that, though. I'm sure that I'd require a significant period of adjustment myself...and since I don't anticipate having a significant period left, I'm not gonna try it. In many ways, I envy (oh no, envy's a sin...let's say I applaud, admire, encourage) him. Maybe 40 years ago... Rick

I had a friend that got violently angry with the utility (PECO) back in the '90s and had them take their F'ing wires off his F'ing house (his words). He invested in both solar thermal and PV panels, batteries, wind turbine, the whole shmear. He also burned a lot of gasoline in his portable generators (they don't last long in continuous use). Last I heard, he'd gone back to the grid. Apparently, he wasn't committed enough.

My wife and I were exploring the FLA Keys on our honeymoon (in between bar crawls and diving trips) and found an entire key out a long causeway that was off the grid. No power lines anywhere! Everyone had solar panels and wind generators. Most also had generator sheds where they ran their portable generators when they got too tired of roughing it.

If your requirements are few, this is a great way to live. I could always get a gas SCUBA compressor...

Chris

From my reading here, it sounds like the grid may be used as a battery of sorts, and the power company will buy back unused power after some period of time (albeit, at a possible loss). Staying on the grid with a generator backup may be a good option. For this guy off the grid- it's just a matter of not using much battery power- and making hay while the sun shines.

Living within his means? Happy as hell? By controlling his lifestyle, not having it control him?

Functionally poor? Hardly - I'd say he's rich beyond measure.

I hear what you're saying- I guess I used the term to stress that his monetary status wasn't driving his happiness, and he didn't seem to be lacking. Nonetheless, it would take considerable money to invest in having that sort of setup right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.