off the shelf pex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2003

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2010
southern ohio
is a person able to use off the shelf pex the white stuff is rated to 180 degrees and would be used with a unpressurized owb would this work thanks everyone

Generally the stuff you buy at your local home center doesn't have an oxygen barrier but since your using it in a non pressurized system and are treating your water this doesn't mater.I have used it myself with no ill effects.

I wouldn't.
Heating use is different than potable water and the product has not been tested in that application. Why in the world would you take the chance on a failure down the road? Especially if it's small bore tube in a cement floor. The risk/reward ratio is exceedingly low.

Say you need 2000 feet of 1/2" and you can buy the plumbing pex for .34 a foot, the Barrier pex is .45 So you are taking a chance of the system failing for the sake of $220.

Do they also have the red stuff? My Home Depot sells Red and White. The Red is rated at a higher temperature.

Ask the people at Home Depot.............................no, forget it because they probably won't know. Look on the tube and see if it says anything regarding Oxygen Barrier or O2 Barrier on it. If it does, it's heating tube. If it doesn't, it's for potable water use. Get the right stuff for the job. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.