Official Connecticut Firewood Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
looks like i wont be burning too much this winter again. will be even better burns next winter.

Capture.jpg

I'll still be burning because even at those temps, the boiler will kick on....but I am enjoying the lack of single digits

oh ill still burn as well, but just not as much and wont use the good stuff too much either

Came home from work the other day to one of Eversource's tree trimming contractor's looking at my trees. He said we need to do some tree trimming will you consent. I said no problem will you leave the big stuff and chip the branches. He was like will you put that in writing as they rarely find anyone that check's the box "leave wood on site"....

Attachments

• 1228.jpg
    1228.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 365
Reactions: gregbesia
Hello CT firewood people. I am trying to move from my house in Wolcott. I decided to sell some of my wood to make clean up and such easier.

See pics attached and let me know if interested. I have some split, some rounds, logs, etc...

Too busy painting and cleaning and such to deliver, so let me know what you are willing to pay to come get it and I will reply.

Thank you
IMG_4958.JPG IMG_4959.JPG IMG_4960.JPG IMG_4961.JPG IMG_4962.JPG IMG_4963.JPG IMG_4964.JPG

Reactions: docsj125
2 things,

first - what do you guys do to sharpen your chains, i have my stihl kit and do it, but it doesnt take long before the wood chips turn to wood dust. how often do you get your chains properly sharpened?

second - here are a few pics of wood i need to process:

View attachment 173625
View attachment 173626
View attachment 173627

just dropped my chain off to get properly sharpened to attack this on saturday at my neighbors
View attachment 173628

Just checking to know, Did you file the rakers down as well? The saw teeth need to be kept with the correct depth ratio -Cutter Edge and Depth Gauge (aka-Raker) If you did that, either bring the chain to a place to sharpen on a machine or time for a new chain. Lock Stock & Barrel in Bethany charges 8 bucks to sharpen

CUTTER TOOTH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello CT firewood people. I am trying to move from my house in Wolcott. I decided to sell some of my wood to make clean up and such easier.

See pics attached and let me know if interested. I have some split, some rounds, logs, etc...

Too busy painting and cleaning and such to deliver, so let me know what you are willing to pay to come get it and I will reply.

Thank you
View attachment 197197 View attachment 197198 View attachment 197199 View attachment 197200 View attachment 197201 View attachment 197202 View attachment 197203

Where in Wolcott you live
I am on coe rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you
View attachment 197197 View attachment 197198 View attachment 197199 View attachment 197200 View attachment 197201 View attachment 197202 View attachment 197203

Where in Wolcott you live
I am on coe rd

definitely had my longest fire of the new burning season last night. did some tulip and oak. one piece at a time. stayed strong around 70 in the house. friday looks like an optimal burning day

Reactions: Beer Belly
Wish this sort of thing could be a criminal issue. Theft much?

I am also in Wolcott. We got a strong presence here lol.i am on bound line almost at the end near rt 69

They got a delivery, but was it seasoned ?

Reactions: Jay106n
Awesome! Too far away for me tho
Too far for me too.....heck, I'd burn a vacation day and make trips back and forth with the truck all day:)

horses.jpg
Connecticut firewood from back in the day - I can't remember the horses names, but my sister Vicki is on the back of one - My uncle Pete is holding on to me, they used to cut firewood about a mile up on the mountain, brought it all down with the horses. This pick is about 1956 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 218228 Connecticut firewood from back in the day - I can't remember the horses names, but my sister Vicki is on the back of one - My uncle Pete is holding on to me, they used to cut firewood about a mile up on the mountain, brought it all down with the horses. This pick is about 1956 or so.

What town was that in? Which mountain? I see you are in Kent. Was it out that way?

The photo was in the barnyard of the family farm here in Kent - My grandparents bought the place in 1908 - We still own it, our kids moved into the house this past year, 4th generation there. We live right next door. The hip roof behind my head I just re shingled for the 2nd time, got 30 years from the last one \ In the house was a big old Andes kitchen stove, most of the meals were cooked on it. In the dirt floor cellar a huge old wood furnace, with a 4 x 4 ft cast grate in the hall above, we were never cold. You could dry wet gloves in minutes on that grate.My mom probably took the photo with a black square Kodak camera we had.

Reactions: Tom123
Hello all. New here, from Killingworth. Burning a older Dutchwest Cat stove. Mixed feelings on it after 2 years.

Cut all my wood on my property so far. Maples and Oaks. Split and stack it out back, transport about 3/4 cord at a time up to the house with the tractor. Got about 7 cord split and stacked, 3-4 cord to be bucked up and split.

Here's some pics of my tree cutting and firewood from the past year.
Tree Cutting3.png
Kubota  1.png
Firewood box.png

And the stove, the day it was put in, the final touch on the remodel.... Sits about 1' deeper in the fireplace now as its not hooked up in the pic.

10 - Finished 5.png

Hello all. New here, from Killingworth. Burning a older Dutchwest Cat stove. Mixed feelings on it after 2 years.

Cut all my wood on my property so far. Maples and Oaks. Split and stack it out back, transport about 3/4 cord at a time up to the house with the tractor. Got about 7 cord split and stacked, 3-4 cord to be bucked up and split.

Here's some pics of my tree cutting and firewood from the past year.
View attachment 218315 View attachment 218316 View attachment 218317

And the stove, the day it was put in, the final touch on the remodel.... Sits about 1' deeper in the fireplace now as its not hooked up in the pic.

View attachment 218318

Welcome. Nice set up. Wish I had the room for a tractor like that!

Nice 3ph splitter on the Massey Ferguson. That looks like it was a lot of fun, playing with your tractors, I mean processing your wood. I need more seat time on my tractor.