oil based primer inside house while using wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
i'm remodeling my basement. the stage i'm at calls for primer. i'm going to use BIN (oil based primer). upstairs, my EPA fireplace is heating away. is it okay for me to use the primer in the basement? do i have to be concerned about fumes reaching the flame?

i see on the can it says not to use near open flame.

It won't hurt anything. If the fumes were concentrated enough to explode, then you would have already passed out. I assume your fireplace uses outside air for combustion anyway.

i'm remodeling my basement. the stage i'm at calls for primer. i'm going to use BIN (oil based primer). upstairs, my EPA fireplace is heating away. is it okay for me to use the primer in the basement? do i have to be concerned about fumes reaching the flame?

i see on the can it says not to use near open flame.

Bin dries immediately due to the alcohol in the shellac. I think you'd have a larger issue from the bin drying on your roller before it hits the wall!

BIN is alcohol based and has very strong fumes. I would never use it without opening the windows because the fumes will really put you on your ass otherwise.

That said, it's a fantastic primer that can cover anything... water stains, oil stains, smoke stains..... not sure I'd use it on a whole wall though, it's thin.

BIN (red text) has an oil based brother, Cover Stain (yellow text), which is also very good but oil based. IMO the fumes from the oil based cover stain are much milder.

Either way, explosion is probably not a high risk, but you need to open a couple windows anyway if you like to breathe while you paint.

Yup great for covering stains and I see purple is for wallpaper. Then there is BIN2 which is a soy-based alkyd primer. Looks like Rustoleum now owns Zinsser.

Do you know what B-I-N stands for?

Yup great for covering stains and I see purple is for wallpaper. Then there is BIN2 which is a soy-based alkyd primer. Looks like Rustoleum now owns Zinsser.

Do you know what B-I-N stands for?

I did not. Now I do. And that's a mouthful!

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/william-zinsser-company-inc-history/

I also didn't know that Zinsser had a history of going around strengthening peoples' derby hats. Sounds saucy!

Best line: "Until he died at age 91, his romance with shellac never faltered."

Ha, I was trying to figure out if it had Bullseye in the name. Bulls-I-Namel.