Oil Leak On New Husky 450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I put away it away at the end of the summer and noticed oil drippage.
I now put paper towels under it.
Is this a 'thing' with Huskys?
My Stihl never did this.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Mine does the same thing if left for a long time with bar oil in it. I just put a rag under the saw when I put it in the case, no issues. It's a very slow leak so you shouldn't even notice it.

It's a purposeful leak. This is how the moving parts external to the crankcase are lubricated.

Reactions: Medic21
It's called a total loss oiling system. Some goes through the bar and a lot just gets thrown at the sprocket/chain. It's just a controlled leak. Car engines at one point had tubes coming off the crank case that vented excess crank pressure right to atmosphere, generally aimed at the road. Oil mist comes out of those tubes. Cars regularly left oil spots wherever they parked. If it stopped dripping, you had real issues.

My 445 does the same thing. Has since it was new. As was said I just put a rag or something underneath of it to keep oil off the floor or whatever.

You're right it's not a Stihl, that's all I'm going to say!

Reactions: pjohnson
My Dolmar have been known to do it too. On those, it's a rubber elbow under the clutch that comes out of the oil pump. I've cleaned and shimmed mine and stopped. Lots of guys just solve it by draining the oil every time, but I hate leaks.

All the saws I've had leak oil to one degree or another. Because of this, I store all my saws on BOOT TRAYS on shelves, if not in a chainsaw case.

Reactions: velvetfoot
I put away it away at the end of the summer and noticed oil drippage.
I now put paper towels under it.
Is this a 'thing' with Huskys?
My Stihl never did this.
Yep, it's a thing and it's not on purpose. My 455 does the same thing, there are videos on YouTube about fixing it. Looks like a pain, so I just put it on a peice of cardboard.

My Husky 350 always leaked oil . . . my Jonsered never seems to leak.

Same with mine. I tend to run my fuel out which also drains the oil tank down before I store the saw and it leaks a lot less. I rarely if ever store the saw fueled and oiled up. I wait until I get to the woods.

Try cracking open the oil cap after use,then re-tighten - sometimes you get a bit of pressure built up in the system or just from temp change like those plastic gas cans

Reactions: velvetfoot
My 450 did that. I got a new oiler replaced through my warranty at the dealer I bought it from. He even did me one better and replaced it with a steel body oiler, worm and pick up tubes. Never leaked again

My 257XP does leak a little but the 372XP and the 41 doesn't leave a drop.

my 445 does it, I even added it to my signature line a while ago :D... i have finally gotten smart and just stopped filling it before I put it away.... run it until it is out of either bar oil, or gas, then I'm done for the day :)

Both of mine leak, the 385 is 10 years old and the 135 has 2 hours on it.

None are supposed to leak,but many do.
I got a really nice 372 full wrap and heated handles with a pile of dead husky's.It was filthy.And it a name scribed on it after i cleaned off the oily mess.I contacted the PO because it is a small population around here i knew the guy,i asked if he was missing the saw. He said no i gave that piece of chyt away because it leaked oil everywhere.
Which it did.But it was in great shape.The oil pump was leaking,put one off a dead 365 and no more leak.
Most of the time it is an easy fix,because they are not made to leak and make a mess

I've been told by a Husqvarna rep that the saws are supposed to be stored right side up, but with the bar and chain angled downward. I've never tested his claim but I will later this year when I start cutting wood again.

I noticed that Tractor Supply displays their saws like this too.

Older 359 did this and real bad, even with the oiler closed off, new 465 doesn't do this, really loving the new saw.

That's why I use the Stihl case. the bar sheath drains the oil back into the bottom of the case. The bottom of the case has places for the oil to go with the saw sitting in oil. Every few years I wipe it out.