Ok it's that time of the year again....... to show wood piles/stacks!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my stacks, first 2 are the "wood shed" under the deck 6 stacks roughly 14ft long by 6"avg. Mostly split in Jan/Feb of this year with about 1 cord left from last winter.

Second pics are the more of the Jan logs that's getting stacked for next winter. Still have about 1.3 cords not stacked that I'm trading with my neighbour. It's Jan logs that I split around Mar/Apr and we're trading since he doesn't have enuf for the winter. We just rec'd another log load to buck/split between now and Xmas, that we went halfs on, which means I'll have the 1.3 cords plus anothe ~4 cords split to stack before Xmas. I also plan on getting another Log load in Jan which should give me another 8 cords for the winter beyond. I really want ot me 2+ yrs ahead, and expect to go thru 3-4 cords per year.

Attachments

• DSC01546S.jpg
    DSC01546S.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 785
  • DSC01547S.jpg
    DSC01547S.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 796
  • DSC01541S.jpg
    DSC01541S.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC01542S.jpg
    DSC01542S.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 786
Well, I was impressed with myself until I saw your stacks! not surprised though. This is one cord, as exactly measured as I could handle.

Attachments

• IMG_20100926_131527a.jpg
    IMG_20100926_131527a.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,051
  • IMG_20100925_154328a.jpg
    IMG_20100925_154328a.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_20100926_132019a.jpg
    IMG_20100926_132019a.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,046
7 cords of oak in the shed and about 7 more in the logs.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 1,089
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 1,081
This pile is mostly black birch and red or black oak. It's 5' tall and 35' long with 16"-18" long splits. The last pic is me bringing the kids on a wheel barrow ride. I'm about half way with clearing the land we plan to build on. Maybe less if you consider the white pine. I'm planning on giving most of that to a friend who has a mill.

Attachments

• woodpile 1.jpg
    woodpile 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,016
  • woodpile 2.jpg
    woodpile 2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • wheelbarrow.jpg
    wheelbarrow.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 991
Very imposing structure there Needshave.

mtcates - wow thats a nice shed!

Needshave - can you say Great Wall of China... Couple of turrets and you got yourself a fortress.

pile o’ wood said:
Needshave - can you say Great Wall of China... Couple of turrets and you got yourself a fortress.

I could put some tree stands up on the ends that are supporting the stack for turrets. This was the only way I could come up with that would keep the wood single row and get some sun. The forest is mature and lets in very little light. Behind this stack is somebody else's property. They have cleared out most of the mature timber. Currently the stack gets sun from sunrise to about noon.

if nothing else, it is one good looking privacy fence.

Diesel73,
Do I really see handles on your very square splits?

well its not exactly splits, but it is what I burn..Pellets 22 tons
kind of a wood pile
seems alot neater to me and I never have to get up at night
to load the stove

Attachments

• p1010003.jpg
    p1010003.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 860
Flatbedford said:
Diesel73,

Yes you do.....those blocks are all scrap from where I work. Bundles of raw material come in chocked with those blocks. Most of the truck drivers don't want them so I collect what they leave behind.

Diesel73 said:
Flatbedford said:
Diesel73,

Yes you do.....those blocks are all scrap from where I work. Bundles of raw material come in chocked with those blocks. Most of the truck drivers don't want them so I collect what they leave behind.

Wow. Now that's a scroungers dream! And I bet it's dry hardwood, right?

maplewood said:
Diesel73 said:
Flatbedford said:
Diesel73,

Wow. Now that's a scroungers dream! And I bet it's dry hardwood, right?

Hardwood, yes.
Dry, not usually....I have to let is season a year.

Carbon_Liberator said:
Here is a picture of my fire wood (the orange dead ones), I have yet to cut and stack it, but there is plenty of it (thousands of years worth) and I know exactly where to get it, it's just waiting for me to come and get it.
MPB_July8_03.jpg
Wow that is too bad for the trees what do the scientists say about this? Bug infestation I guess. What will happen to the forest!

Flatbedford said:
Diesel73,

Was going to ask exactly same and these 4x4s burn good safe??????

What are the handles made out of? Do you burn 'em or take them off?

They bun really well once seasoned.
The handles are just strips of plastic stapled to the wood.....I cut them off. Staples are too hard to get out so I have stapley ashes.

We finally got a few years worth ahead. We now have about nine and a half cords and use about four a year. Next project is to get a wood shed built to store it all properly.

Attachments

• DSC03787.jpg
    DSC03787.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 702
  • DSC03788.jpg
    DSC03788.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 688
  • DSC03792.jpg
    DSC03792.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 708
Here's my 2yr old 5 cords and 1 year old 4 cord.

Attachments

• cracks.jpg
    cracks.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 917
  • 2010-2011 piles.jpg
    2010-2011 piles.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 939
Nice, be glad when I get there last year didnt know what seasoned wood was. Just waiting on someone post lives near me with that much I now have plenty stacked oak needs time will trade or purchace. Only offer Iv had was someone in Alaska.

Oh by the way here is one little pile that I cut split stacked Memorial day weekend all Oak. I have stacks like this all over the place. From 5 months to 1 month old. So any of you good old boys want to trade help a fellow hearth.comer get through his 22 nd year or burning 1st with new EPA stove and discovery of all you psycos.

LOL from Front Royal Va.

Cpt.

Attachments

• SDC10012.jpg
    SDC10012.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 900
cptoneleg" date=" said:
Oh by the way here is one little pile that I cut split stacked Memorial day weekend all Oak. I have stacks like this all over the place. From 5 months to 1 month old. So any of you good old boys want to trade help a fellow hearth.comer get through his 22 nd year or burning 1st with new EPA stove and discovery of all you psycos.

LOL from Front Royal Va.

Cpt.
I would do it if you were closer...ric here. :-/

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
I absolutely hate all of you. I have first-year wood stove syndrome... otherwise known as "Well people sell firewood, right? RIGHT?"

~Rose

Allright we have a Rose welcome Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.