Ok it's that time of the year again....... to show wood piles/stacks!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't cover mine, Randy

Attachments

• DSCF1906.jpg
    DSCF1906.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 898
  • DSCF1907.jpg
    DSCF1907.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 897
  • DSCF1911.jpg
    DSCF1911.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 885
I'll post photos when I have a chance, but we're on our first year heating with wood and are a bit behind on seasoning ...

We have 11 cords of mixed hardwood split and stacked, seven from April/May and 4 from late July. I'm hoping we'll use no more than 6 or so, but it's the first winter in a new-old house and the first winter heating with wood, so we'll see.

I'm hoping to drop and buck another 4 to 6 before snow flies in a bid to put some wood in the bank for years to come. We just moved the oldest 7 cords into the basement by the wood furnace and the newer 4 are sitting in the sun with top covers at the ready when the weather turns frosty and wet.

Heating with wood is apparently more than a romantic throwback - it's a lifestyle! :)

FixedGearFlyer said:
Heating with wood is apparently more than a romantic throwback - it's a lifestyle! :)

You might be a new guy, but you have caught on quickly! ;-)

Some of our wood and I still have 4 face cord of beech that needs stacking with the wood on the right. Will be four years ahead by the end of October.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1633.jpg
    100_1633.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 935
zapny said:
Some of our wood and I still have 4 face cord of beech that needs stacking with the wood on the right. Will be four years ahead by the end of October.

zap

After looking at this we might have to see who has the neatest stacks....... wow those are straight!

iceman said:
zapny said:

zap

After looking at this we might have to see who has the neatest stacks....... wow those are straight!

iceman thanks, I just don't want them to fall over.

zap

Pictures to come soon....whenever I see someone with a massive picture making statements like "bout 4 cords" I cry a little and think to myself that I am severely lacking in wood on my property :)

Definitely not as neat as some of you guys but this is what I've got for now. The stuff in the garage (2 cord) is for this year and there is still some shoulder season stuff out side (3/4 cord). I have 3 cord for next year and a start of about 1.5 cord for 2013. If I use the uglies up first next year along with some of the soft wood I might not burn all that I have planned to use and have three years worth put up.

Attachments

• w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 697
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 704
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 740
  • garage wood.jpg
    garage wood.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 716
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 693
ckarotka said:
Definitely not as neat as some of you guys but this is what I've got for now. The stuff in the garage (2 cord) is for this year and there is still some shoulder season stuff out side (3/4 cord). I have 3 cord for next year and a start of about 1.5 cord for 2013. If I use the uglies up first next year along with some of the soft wood I might not burn all that I have planned to use and have three years worth put up.
Looks like a lot of wood very neatly done! Nice dog! What is so interesting to it?

Singed Eyebrows said:
ckarotka said:
Looks like a lot of wood very neatly done! Nice dog! What is so interesting to it?

!!!!!SQUIRREL!!!!!! We have alot of field mice and little four legged guys around the house that he loves to capture and leave as presents on the patio!! He searches the garage/condemned building for them non-stop. My garage is a detached one that needs some help, but the wife wants a new kitchen first. Can't blame her, I do my fair share of cooking and it really needs a face lift and re-organized with a totally new layout, surgery scheduled for spring of 2011.

actually a 2 year supply for me. 44 ft x 4 x 5.5 = about 7.5 cords plus the Holz is on 4 pallets squared and about 5 ft high so I figure thats got to be another 1.5 cords. I don't know how to measure that ?

The long stack is cherry, oak, and black locust. The Holz is maple. These pics are Oct, Feb, and this weekend. The maple was dead standing that was cut last January and split and stacked before March 1. It is checked and gray - but I am gonna save it for the end of the season or for next year. You can see it squated down a good bit. I tossed some oak splits on the top from one pic to the next.

The rest is good to go. Very pleased with the seasoning. Moved 6 pallets of wood into my garage this weekend - so the wife doesn't have to go outside while I travel for work.

Time for me to start scrounging again.

Attachments

• woodhouse_011.jpg
    woodhouse_011.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 717
  • fall 003.jpg
    fall 003.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 714
  • feb_snow_007.jpg
    feb_snow_007.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 713
  • woodhouse_013.jpg
    woodhouse_013.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 702
  • fall 002.jpg
    fall 002.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 702
BucksCoBernie said:
As usual, nice work Zap.

BCB thanks, we filled the racks (inside, one face cord) on Monday with the cherry that is in the picture front left. The cherry is burning great but the wife told me this morning she can't wait to burn the beech. :coolgrin:

zap

basswidow said:
actually a 2 year supply for me. 44 ft x 4 x 5.5 = about 7.5 cords plus the Holz is on 4 pallets squared and about 5 ft high so I figure thats got to be another 1.5 cords. I don't know how to measure that ?

Volume of a cylinder is calculated as Pi * radius squared * height

If you have a cone shaped top:
(height of Cone * Pi * radius squared)/3

OK so Pi x the radius squared (one time around with the tape measure) and then the height. I will measure it out tonight. Thanks. I knew their had to be a formula. I am just happy the Holz didn't fall down over the summer. It was a one time thing. Pain in the butt to stack and I'd rather do rows.

Still no burning weather here in NJ. I had 34 degrees on Sunday morning - but the house was still warm and not cold enough for a fire. Maybe another 2 weeks before it gets cold enough?

basswidow said:
OK so Pi x the radius squared (one time around with the tape measure) and then the height.

radius is the distance from the outer edge to the center point (1/2 the diameter).
My estimate if you built this on 4 pallets is your diameter is about 7' and radius is 3.5'

Got Wood said:
basswidow said:
OK so Pi x the radius squared (one time around with the tape measure) and then the height.

radius is the distance from the outer edge to the center point (1/2 the diameter).
My estimate if you built this on 4 pallets is your diameter is about 7' and radius is 3.5'

Oops, ok. So 3.5 sounds about right to me. Squared is 12.25 x Pi 3.14159265 x 5 = 192.42 / 128 = 1.5 cords! I guess I eyeballed that about right anyway.

Thanks for the geometry!

Is a Holz hause (or however you spell it) made with splits in the center of the outer ring?

Ours is filled with shorts and uglies in the middle. In a real one, the center has rings of splits turned up on their ends. So mine is not tightly packed inside - so maybe alittle less then 1.5 cords.

KB007 said:
Is a Holz hause (or however you spell it) made with splits in the center of the outer ring?

A couple pics of the one I built. I tossed the wood in the middle. By the book, the middle section would be vertically stacked pieces (on end).

Attachments

• DSC02034w.jpg
    DSC02034w.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 990
  • DSC02054w.jpg
    DSC02054w.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 968
  • DSC02031w.jpg
    DSC02031w.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 998
KB007 said:

The two holz mietes that I built I just threw the punks, chunks and uglies into the middle, but if you want you can toss splits or rounds in there . . . for me it just worked out well to have a nice place to put the odd-ball pieces.

Alright, I know I'm late to the show, but I was outside with my with my little guy taking pics of him playing in a pile of leaves. So I figured I'd take a few shots of the woodpiles.

It's about 4 cords split and stacked locust, oak, maple and a little pine. 3 cords are seasoned.

I have about 1/4 cord of seasoned wood stored away in storage containers near the door for the reloads. I have a few storage boxes of stumps and uglies in the garage.

I also included my pile of unsplit scrounged wood. I know it pales in comparison to some of the die-hards, but I'm just getting started, and my neighbors think I'm nuts.
*I included a pic of my little guy in his elephant costume for kicks.

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 848
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 883
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 916
Cute kid. Is that some kind of conveyor system he is sitting on?

SolarAndWood said:
Cute kid. Is that some kind of conveyor system he is sitting on?

That's funny. I can see how you would think that. That's his roller coaster. He was flying down the coaster into a pile of leaves.

Looking good man! I was just at that starting stage a year ago this month. I was able to supply for last winter's burn and now I'm right around 10 cords. Yes, my neighbors think I'm nuts as well, as did my wife until she realized that she'll be able to have the house as warm as she wants and have me not complaining about the furnace always being on.

Status
Not open for further replies.