Ok, please correct me...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casie

Oct 6, 2010
North Eastern MA
I get so much great information from this forum. I log on several times a week. I read just about every topic. What is driving me crazy is the use of the word "ton".

When someone talks about 1 ton, ok then, but when you talk about more than "1", is it not still "ton" and not "tons" ? No matter how many you talk about, is it not "ton"?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. And, btw I have 6 ton which, with what I have left over from last year, will last me about 3 years.

Stay cool all.

With "warm" regards,
A grammatically anal retentive pellet burning New Englander!

i think you mean "idears" Frank. I think you'd see more use of the plural "tons" here in the U.S. of A, and more use of the "ton" as a plural in other places...like Great Brittain, or Australia.

"G'day mate, I got 30 odd ton o' koala bears 'ere"

GrahamInVa said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Well that all depends upon who you ask, here is one answer: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_plural_of_ton

However 116 ton is perfectly correct.

Smokey, you have a Butt load of pellets!! ;-P

Not really, just enough to make good use of the space in the garage, no sense in wasting it (if I can get a decent delivered price I could squeeze some more in). Besides buying pellets up here can get expensive so one stocks up when the price is right.

Delta-T said:
i think you mean "idears" Frank. I think you'd see more use of the plural "tons" here in the U.S. of A, and more use of the "ton" as a plural in other places...like Great Brittain, or Australia.

I'm sending my attack chickens to pay you a visit that signature line needs changing.

better? am I safe now?

The ton of responses here, helped a ton. I own a "half ton" that I drive everyday, and it gives me a ton of power when I need it.

-Soupy1957

seems we've left out the elusive "tonne". probably best to ignore it anyways.

Delta-T said:

However, in those places, it would be more likely that one would have 26 odd tonnes of wombats.

hossthehermit said:
Delta-T said:

However, in those places, it would be more likely that one would have 26 odd tonnes of wombats.

In Australia maybe, in Great Britain they are just plain bats.

I hate english lessons. Who cares if its ton or tons. This is a hearth forum, not grammer school.

woodsmaster said:
I hate english lessons. Who cares if its ton or tons. This is a hearth forum, not grammer school.

English lessons in general inhale with pursed lips, but what the h e double, questions deserve an answer.

and now onward to Ancient Greek.....

Status
Not open for further replies.