Ok, so my neighbors officially hate me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Well, some friends and I were using the fire pit in the backyard, and we were making s'mores and all... and suddenly we hear sirens, and see a firetruck turn into the street in front of us.

So we all went running to see what was going on, and our neighbor's house was on fire!

When we got there, the wife was crying into her husbands arms, and we were just kinda standing there, and then she saw us, and then like for 10 seconds, gave us the dirtiest look ever.

Turns out, we were still holding our sticks with marshmallows on it, watching the fire....

talk about bad timing...

Copy and pasted of course, but dang funny anyway.

Matt

Matt - if you had really done that, I would still be on the floor holding my ribs so they didn't explode from my chest. Those neighbors would have given a whole new meaning to "mean muggin" ya. :lol:

:lol: At first I was thinking the dirty look was for turning her husband on to wood stove which caused the fire. :lol:

LOL...you had there for a few secs.

Thier disdain was due to the poison sumac sticks you were using.

Did you offer them a s'more?

Did you have beers with you too?

WOW! Talk about good memory...I remember reading this in the humor section of Reader's Digest when i was 19 (living w/ grandparents; I remember the age)...That was almost 10 years ago.

That is crazy! Very funny story to :)

This is a TRUE story. I think it was back in the late 70's or early 80's, my (then) wifes sister and husband lived in an apartment complex in Naperville, IL. We were there one day, and the BIL was grilling meat on the grill; they lived on the first floor of a two story complex. Pretty soon we heard sirens, so we went through the apartment to see the fire trucks go by on the main road about 2 blocks away....only the trucks turned in to the parking area where we were. They came right up to the BIL's front door and asked about the fire. The neighbors on the second story had smelled the smoke and called the FD. I guess they couldn't smell the steaks cooking on the grill.

Yeah, I used to get numerous visits from the FD too. Aparently an anonymous neighbor didn't quite understand that burn-bans in the city are specific to burning brush and leaves. Your recreational campfire or cooking fire is exempt. At least in the cities we live in.

Thankfully the FD would not show up with sirens blaring. I even tried calling the FD ahead of time, but they told me that they were legally bound to showing up with a truck every time someone called. It was a pain and we don't miss that neighborhood.

We were never issued a fine nor even told to put the fire out. Once, when I was test burning a woodstove for an ice shack the fireman advised that I burn it with the damper open more. While my backyard was fine when I went out front to bid the firetruck good-bye I saw why - I had fogged the neighborhood!

In Connecticut, you might just've had those fire trucks coming to YOUR house..........SOME "neighbors" will call em if you burn in your yard like we do, in the summer.

Fire Marshal can come to your home and Cite you for having a back yard pit, even if well built, for things like "not having a cooking grate".....or "not positioned far enough away from trees on the property. They're really sticky about that around here.

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.