OK to burn 22% moisture mixed with 12%-14% ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bikedennis

Jun 21, 2021
Nor Cal
Maybe dumb question. Anyway when I stacked and covered some fir it was about 18% moisture. Just checked it with the meter and it reads above 20%(22%-23%). If I mix it with about 1/3 12%-14% pine is it all good and safe for the stove(BK)?

Last edited:

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
I'm not familiar with fir, but I suspect it's heavier than pine.

If you take the average of the moisture contents, (2/3 @ 23 pct, 1/3 at 14 pct), you're exactly at 20 pct. But of the fir is heavier, I'd mix in more pine. It's borderline imo.

How did you measure?

bikedennis

Jun 21, 2021
Nor Cal
Used a digital moisture meter. Inexpensive, maybe not real accurate, but I read somewhere that the cheapies were accurate within 1%.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Sure, otherwise you wouldn't have an actual number.

But how did you measure. Precisely. It matters a lot.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
Used a digital moisture meter. Inexpensive, maybe not real accurate, but I read somewhere that the cheapies were accurate within 1%.
@stoveliker is wanting to know if you take a split from your pile and test it, or if you take a split from your pile, resplit that piece and let get to room temperature then test it. You’ll find a huge difference in moisture readouts. Just my input

Reactions: woodey

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
@stoveliker is wanting to know if you take a split from your pile and test it, or if you take a split from your pile, resplit that piece and let get to room temperature then test it. You’ll find a huge difference in moisture readouts. Just my input

No, not split, let get to temp, and then measure.
Get a split, let it be in a room for a day, then resplit and measure. If you reverse the order, you'll measure a number far lower than it actually is.

Reactions: TheBigIron