Ok to stack wood near trees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

illini81

Feeling the Heat
Apr 7, 2017
Southeastern CT
Hi,

I am new to the wood stove community. Thanks to everyone who posts on here. I've learned a lot over the past 2 months, and look forward to learning much more.

I haven't yet bought a stove, still narrowing down my choices. I have, however, picked up about 3 cords of wood from two people who had trees taken down and didn't want the wood. I'm now trying to figure out where to store it on my property. I live on about an acre that is almost entirely wooded.

My question is this: is it bad to store firewood near (within two feet or so) of a healthy tree? Will the weight of the wood damage the root system of the tree? Is there a danger that pests in the firewood will attack the tree?

I'm planning on storing the wood on pallets which are on top of cinder blocks.

Thanks for the help.

Short Answer : It is OK to stack close to trees
I personally see no problem other than most people
stack in the open for the sun and wind to dry . If
there is some air movement and the sun hits it some
times it will dry . If it is shade all the time it may rot
because of the moisture .

* Your stack might shift and topple if trees are smaller diameter, tall trees and sway in the wind.
* If stack is raised or bridged over trunk flare/ roots, the tree should be fine.
* You might have an insect problem if you have EAB infested wood stacked near your ash tree, and definitely if your tree is untreated. EAB will move through the ash range soon enough anyway, but your neighbors might not appreciate their ash getting EAB sooner (kind of like one being the first to spread a cold in the office). Once everyone has EAB it won't matter, but until then . . .

Welcome to the community! I stack almost all of my wood between trees, which might not be ideal but works OK for me. I'm somewhat limited on open space. The stacks get plenty of sun and wind in the winter, less so in the summer. I choose big trees that aren't likely to sway much to anchor the stacks and haven't noticed any of them being affected by this, at least not yet. Sunny open spots would allow for faster drying but that's not always an option--sounds like you're in the same boat as me.

My first woodpile was stacked in/around some trees, but they were larger so swaying wasn't an issue. I stack my wood on pallets for air circulation. What you will probably want to do is top cover your wood with a tarp, plastic, or something to that effect as the leaves and such will build up on top.

Reactions: Tom123
Don't even worry about it. Lots of people myself included stack right up to the tree. Or in between two trees. I have never seen a tree die from it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

You will be fine stacking on pallets anywhere you please...

I do it too. It's fine.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

As mentioned . . . no issues.

I've even stacked wood between trees before with no issues . . . although some folks have reported that if the trees are small and the area is windy the swaying trees can cause the stacks to tip over. However, it sounds like you are just wondering about damaging the trees by stacking NEAR them . . . again . . . no issues.

I have a tree I stack against, I have my stacks on pallets, and a pallet vertically between the tree and the stack also.