Old 1970’s "funnel" fireplace - gas log needs to be replaced

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty0707

Dec 27, 2010
MI - Lower Penn
Funnel fireplace (which some think may actually have started out as a wood burner) has a gas log insert. You have to remove the screen to reach in and turn on the gas. Problem is we think the gas seals are starting to go. We're being told at some fireplace stores (no one has come out) that we can't just replace the insert. My question, why not? Is that true, or do they just want us to pony up for an entirely new system? Although I know this fireplace is not incredibly efficient, we also already own the thing. We plan on selling in the next year or so, and don't think we want to spend the money to get an entirely new system. We would like to get a new gas log kit, preferably with one that we can put a remote control on (no more reaching inside to turn the gas on/off).

If anyone has any suggestions, we sure would appreciate it immensly! :)

Thank you!

Need pictures. Full view and close up of the controls and log set.

Any rating plate tags? A MFG or Model would help?

I suspect you migfht have a MALM fireplace: http://www.malmfireplaces.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.