old 40:1 ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's gotta be cool stuff. I was checking one out once that had the motor torn down. It was a little one that was used at an elevator when they were loading grain out. The size of the internals was pretty impressive. Be way cool to work on the big ones.
It is a cool job, Jeff. They are impressive machines, but not as much so as the old steam locomotives were. The steamers were a symphony of chaos, all those moving parts and valves and pistons and rods......with a huge boiler right there in front of you. Those guys impress me, the ones who maintained and ran those steamers. I'll post some pics of what I work on sometime here in the future.

Reactions: MasterMech
yes please post some pics and i agree the steam locos ruled

I am a fifth generation railroader and its neat because I work in the exact same building right now as my great grandfather did back in the 1920's. There is a mountain of railroad history in our area and The Juniata Locomotive Shop is still cranking out locomotives. Look it up on the 'net, a lot of legendary machines came out of that building......

Reactions: onetracker
I am a fifth generation railroader and its neat because I work in the exact same building right now as my great grandfather did back in the 1920's. There is a mountain of railroad history in our area and The Juniata Locomotive Shop is still cranking out locomotives. Look it up on the 'net, a lot of legendary machines came out of that building......

i just checked out the video. very cool. that must be an interesting place to work.

4 cycle outboards (required here some waters)
4 cycle snow machines (required here some areas)
4 cycle chains saws soon???? Better start lifting weights :)

Reactions: ScotO
Here's a short clip of a show that The History Channel did on us. I was running the 50 ton crane (not the one lifting the locomotive) the day they filmed. The overhead moving shots were filmed off of my crane, my only claim to fame......lol...

Pretty cool Scott.
Do you have rebuilt engines & generators ready to go & R&R for fast turn around?
The engine shop would be a fun place to work. It easy to see the parts of the big stuff. Real pistons , cranks & liners....
Some day soon maybe you'll be retro-fitting to run on Liquid Natural Gas.

Smooth filming run with the OH crane, didn't know it would move so fast. ;)

I mix 1 gallon jugs 50:1. Can have fairly fresh gas that way On the weed eaters & old saw I add a few drops in the tank when filling.
The new 2 cycle oil is much better, don't burn like the older oils. (Old 30:1 mix called for 30 weight , non detergent oil, always had blue smoke)
If not, my 30 & 40 :1 gas would get to be 2+ yrs old. (No ethanol here is a + too)

Status
Not open for further replies.