Old Clayton Outdoor Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamons

Jan 4, 2016
Kansas CIty
I have an old Clayton outdoor furnace that we run about 10 cords a wood through. This is our third winter with it -- it was witht he house when we bought it. I am now trying to tweak it.

Biggest problem I have is when the weather drops into the 20's i get a lot of short cycling -- no matter how hot I make the fire. Fan limit switch seems to be functioning normally -- it just kicks off very quickly -- runs about 4 minutes -- cuts off for 3 runs for 5.

Ideas?

is your thermo disc adjustable . The fan can cool off the unit and drop the temperature down this in turn tells the probe to shut off the fan

hmmm. THink this over while i slept - i wonder if it the insulation has been pulled of a large portion of the outside return ducting and I have not replaced that yet. Maybe the return air is super cooled now so that as soon as the fan turns on -- it cools the fan trigger switch to turn off fan. Th elow end cut off is set very low -- but that is still what is sutting off the fan

hmmm. THink this over while i slept - i wonder if it the insulation has been pulled of a large portion of the outside return ducting and I have not replaced that yet. Maybe the return air is super cooled now so that as soon as the fan turns on -- it cools the fan trigger switch to turn off fan. Th elow end cut off is set very low -- but that is still what is sutting off the fan
That is more than likely what it is. Doesn't take long to cool the firebox down if there is frigid air blowing around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.