Old Farmer's Almanac 2018 - 19 Winter Forecast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you spot anthracnose developing on the apple trees it's best to stop it early. For early and smaller cases a lighter or gentle application of low flame from a propane torch will burn it out.

If you spot anthracnose developing on the apple trees it's best to stop it early. For early and smaller cases a lighter or gentle application of low flame from a propane torch will burn it out.

We'll try again next year. We tried some sort of fungicide this spring on the small ones that were infected last year. That did nothing.

To clarify, you're saying just torch the leaves off the tree? Or pluck them and burn them.

Just don't set the tree on fire!

I'll try not to.

I found a couple of cankers on the tree that I looked at this morning. I'll have to try the torch trick and see what happens next spring. So far it's just on the lower branches of my two bigger trees. There are two smaller ones that may not make it, they haven't done well since planting. Same with a cherry tree I have.

I'm disappointed in the cherry tree, I paid for that one. All of my younger apple trees are volunteers that grew out of a pile of rotten apples my FIL's neighbor dumped in the woods. 2 of them are about 7-8 feet tall now after only about 3 years.

Are you getting apples yet from these trees? Often apples are hybrids so the fruit from the seed tree is different than the parent. I had this happen with a tree I am pulling out now.

why are you pulling it out? what kind of apple were they before and now?

why are you pulling it out? what kind of apple were they before and now?
I think it was a pink lady, but not sure. A friend gave me it as a seedling. The tree grew quickly but attracts every disease known and has never set a bud, nevermind any fruit.

Are you getting apples yet from these trees? Often apples are hybrids so the fruit from the seed tree is different than the parent. I had this happen with a tree I am pulling out now.

Not yet anyway. They're only abut 3 years old. I believe that the source of the seeds were winesap apples. I honestly didn't expect any of them to even live; at this point I'm just curious to see what they do as they grow.

Any body see this coming, Damn near May1st? Interest tweet from my go to guy.
"
Ryan Maue‏Verified account @RyanMaue 14m14 minutes ago
Does climate change mean more snowfall into the month of May? I'm sure if you asked climate scientists beforehand, then they'd say "no way". But, it's happening so it's obviously symptomatic. Need to understand why ... agriculture interests want an answer."

as to original post, The Almanac was a bad one this year

Might add this as well D5FiWVvXsAgF7SD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
late snowstorm in April not unusual in WI, remember many,, but Only remember one in May , 10th 1990. it was on the day that my middle son was born.. In 2013 Northern counties got hit with one on May 2 2013 - I do not remember if we got snow in the southern half of the state that time though.

I am not particularly fond of mother natures birthday gifts to me as this not the first time this has occurred .

late snowstorm in April not unusual in WI, remember many,, but Only remember one in May , 10th 1990. it was on the day that my middle son was born.. In 2013 Northern counties got hit with one on May 2 2013 - I do not remember if we got snow in the southern half of the state that time though.

I am not particularly fond of mother natures birthday gifts to me as this not the first time this has occurred .

Same here in New Eng. The 1977 storm was a mess with trees fully leafed. The talk back then was opposite of today an ice age was coming. https://www.boston.com/weather/weat...-bad-as-in-13-inches-of-snow-in-worcester-bad

Last edited:
yep 50-70 we were going to freeze to death or face a nuclear winter with same ending- now of course we are going to expired do to climate change and hole in atmosphere allowing us to be crispy crittered by the Old Sol. Frankly I am more worried about the exponential increases in taxes- those will do me in long before Mother Nature.