Old Fisher Papa Bear Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nodakyeargan

Nov 4, 2009
Eastern North Dakota
We just bought an old log cabin in the Black Hills of South Dakota and it has a Papa Bear Fisher stove in it. It works great and appears to be in excellent shape. However, I noticed that the door channels don't have a gasket in them. Does anyone out there know if this is the way they were made or did someone just remove the gasket and not replace it?

Cheers,
Nodak Yeargan

They didnt come with door gaskets from what I remember. I also remember some folks fitting them with a gasket kit and having good results slowing down the burn. You can buy a 1/2" gasket kit with cement for about 10 bucks or so to try it.

nodakyeargan said:
We just bought an old log cabin in the Black Hills of South Dakota and it has a Papa Bear Fisher stove in it. It works great and appears to be in excellent shape. However, I noticed that the door channels don't have a gasket in them. Does anyone out there know if this is the way they were made or did someone just remove the gasket and not replace it?

Cheers,
Nodak Yeargan

Anywhere that sells stoves (and many places that do not) will have gasket material. It comes in several widths and thicknesses and I don't know which you need, but the stuff is cheap so get a couple different sizes.

Where in E. ND are you? I have family in Stutsman, Dickey, and LaMoure counties.

Thanks for the info. I'll leave it as is, then, with no gasket. It works great by just adjusting the air flow knobs on the front and closing the damper down in the chimney.
We burn wood at our home in North Dakota, also, and have been using a Lopi since 1990. Great stove. I think it'll last forever. We usually burn about 3 cords a year since winter starts up here in Oct and goes til Apr. The Lopi has certainly paid for itself over and over. I cut my own wood mostly from farmer's shelter belts. It's usually ash, cottonwood, and willow. You have to go down to the river areas to cut any oak. But, it all burns as long as it's allowed to dry sufficently. I'm nearly 63 now and it's getting harder and harder to stay up with the wood demand. May have to buy wood before long.
Thanks again for your help and have a great day.

Cheers,
Nodak Yeargan

Status
Not open for further replies.