Old Gravity Vent Behind Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 1, 2019
MN
I've been working on getting a stove installed for the past ten months. Yesterday I had an installer out to put together a quote for an install, and I think we've agreed on a spot. The photo below shows the spot, with the hearth size taped out, and a notecard hung where the stove will rear-vent.

H84U4dN.jpg

As far as I know, the gravity vent no longer serves any real purpose since the heat is forced air. The installer seemed ambivalent about removing it.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to removing the vent?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the vent connected to anything? If not it shouldn't matter much. But it's hard to tell how it will effect air flow.

It looks to me like you are planning to come straight out the back of the stove and through the wall. If so I would strongly recommend that you reconsider that. It means if you ever change stoves you will need to move the chimney. It can also make it a real pita to clean that horizontal run.

Is the vent connected to anything? If not it shouldn't matter much. But it's hard to tell how it will effect air flow.

It looks to me like you are planning to come straight out the back of the stove and through the wall. If so I would strongly recommend that you reconsider that. It means if you ever change stoves you will need to move the chimney. It can also make it a real pita to clean that horizontal run.

Thanks for the feedback.

The vent is either stuck or sealed shut, like all the other gravity vents in the house. I'm not sure if the old ductwork is still connected or not.

As for the install, there's a strange little extension off a closet on the other side of the wall that's pictured, and the idea was to put a T there with access before going straight up through two stories and an attic, with the idea that cleaning would then be straightforward.

I hadn't thought about changing stoves and the height of the hole through the wall, though. That's a good catch. The other option would be to run the pipe up a bit before running it through the wall. I can see how what might make future stove changes easier.

Draft is difficult with 2 90s. Heat wants to move up, not back. Your better off with 2 45s. Remember draft is what runs the stove along with the quality of the wood. You can have great wood, but if your draft isn't great than your stove doesn't run great. Its just a thought.

I got onto this forum ten years ago with a new wood stove that wouldn't draw well. The guys informed me that the new stoves don 't like 2 90 degree bends. The fact that your installer didn't tell you about this makes me wonder if he knows what he is talking about.

Yes 90s will reduce draft. And if it brings you below the required draft it is a bad thing. But if you have a tall chimney it can actually be benificial