Old Harman Accentra verses new?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
I’m thinking about getting a control board. My Accentra is a very early model. I want to say 2002 but can’t remember for sure. Definitely in that era. It’s chain drive not direct drive.

The only board I can find is for the newer models. The Platinum controller and it looks like it covers most of their stoves (which I find confusing). I’m not sure how one controller covers most all models. It seems to me that that is saying the only difference in their stoves is the shell?

Regardless, does anyone know if this new controller works on the old version?

Yes the circuit board is universal. Board comes with instruction sheet to set the dip switches for you model. All the stoves work the same except the PF100, Pb105 and Pc45. (that is the 3 knob control stoves) Dip switch setting basically sets the board for the particular ESP burn pot size and auger rpm. Basically the only difference is shell and btu capacity/burn rate

Reactions: ABusWrench
OK,I'll throw out some stuff, from things I remember, perhaps before I forget,lol.
Harman is terrible about releasing information. We the people sometimes will never know about changes.They want you to use a dealer,always,it seems, and even then, it seems a lot of the technical bulletins and stuff never make it to the tech's themselves, owners just stuff them in a file.
So,as said, yes newer boards will work, they are adjustable. Some older boards would only use the black exhaust probe, new boards can use either.
The feeder units are basically all the same. Fire pots are different.
Yes the combustion blower does change speeds, most people just never notice. BUT they might not on the corn stoves,I am not sure.
I have never figured out, nor has Harman explained the differences in the Accentra, Accentra2 and the Accentra Cast,lol! Mine is a 06, so a "2", but has the old style feeder,BUT has a single bold/wingnut in the center of the fines cover, that holds the fines cover on, which was for older models, and the furnaces.
Anyway, there are 2,so far, feeder units, early and late. Most, if not all, "chain drives",(like mine) are early, BUT perhaps there were early P68's with direct drive? Someone knows, and doesn't intrest me enough to research.
Over the years, Harman "upgrades" things, to fix problems that have popped up in stoves after being out for a while. Probably the most well known was changes in some burn pot designs, especially the 52i. BUT they never release the info for WHY!!!
Augers were changed, but probably to reduce a part number- the slot in the front for stoves with stirrers.
Control boards updated. My experiences have been, the newer the control board, slightly less heat, but, a much cleaner burning stove. Probably done so newer units met emission standards.
I feel combustion motors have gotten cheaper, but don't have the problem of the old ones, which was slow starting if they are cold.
Some Accentra installs had poor draft. There was a high altitude impeller, they also came out with a reducer ring, that goes onto the impeller cover, basically speeding up air flow, you might want to try this, if you have always felt your stove should be burning cleaner, BUT, a replacement impeller cover now comes with a smaller opening. Again, they don't say why, but pretty sure we figured this out.
Not so long ago, the chain drives were "upgraded", the replacement set has 2 sprockets the same size, instead of a large and small one. Currently, the old style parts are still available, but being phased out. Again, no information as to why,lol.
Chain drive motors are now solidly mounted to the bracket. This was probably done because of the motor/chain moving around, causing snaps,pops and other strange stuff. You can buy the expensive bracket, or you can just remove the rubbers, and space with some washers.
Clean and lube your chain. I never see this recommended, but it makes motor work easier, quieter, and sprockets last longer.
OK, If I got anything wrong, please correct me, my memory has never been fantastic.

Thanks guys. If it throws less heat with a new board I may skip it for now. I need all the heat I can get.

Your call, but a dirty stove also throws less heat. So, over time, it may actually be the same ,or more heat. If only Harman would release the paperwork!!!!!!

A lot of good information guys! Thanks

Got any links on these replacement control boards?

OK,I'll throw out some stuff, from things I remember, perhaps before I forget,lol.
Harman is terrible about releasing information. We the people sometimes will never know about changes.They want you to use a dealer,always,it seems, and even then, it seems a lot of the technical bulletins and stuff never make it to the tech's themselves, owners just stuff them in a file.
So,as said, yes newer boards will work, they are adjustable. Some older boards would only use the black exhaust probe, new boards can use either.
The feeder units are basically all the same. Fire pots are different.
Yes the combustion blower does change speeds, most people just never notice. BUT they might not on the corn stoves,I am not sure.
I have never figured out, nor has Harman explained the differences in the Accentra, Accentra2 and the Accentra Cast,lol! Mine is a 06, so a "2", but has the old style feeder,BUT has a single bold/wingnut in the center of the fines cover, that holds the fines cover on, which was for older models, and the furnaces.
Anyway, there are 2,so far, feeder units, early and late. Most, if not all, "chain drives",(like mine) are early, BUT perhaps there were early P68's with direct drive? Someone knows, and doesn't intrest me enough to research.
Over the years, Harman "upgrades" things, to fix problems that have popped up in stoves after being out for a while. Probably the most well known was changes in some burn pot designs, especially the 52i. BUT they never release the info for WHY!!!
Augers were changed, but probably to reduce a part number- the slot in the front for stoves with stirrers.
Control boards updated. My experiences have been, the newer the control board, slightly less heat, but, a much cleaner burning stove. Probably done so newer units met emission standards.
I feel combustion motors have gotten cheaper, but don't have the problem of the old ones, which was slow starting if they are cold.
Some Accentra installs had poor draft. There was a high altitude impeller, they also came out with a reducer ring, that goes onto the impeller cover, basically speeding up air flow, you might want to try this, if you have always felt your stove should be burning cleaner, BUT, a replacement impeller cover now comes with a smaller opening. Again, they don't say why, but pretty sure we figured this out.
Not so long ago, the chain drives were "upgraded", the replacement set has 2 sprockets the same size, instead of a large and small one. Currently, the old style parts are still available, but being phased out. Again, no information as to why,lol.
Chain drive motors are now solidly mounted to the bracket. This was probably done because of the motor/chain moving around, causing snaps,pops and other strange stuff. You can buy the expensive bracket, or you can just remove the rubbers, and space with some washers.
Clean and lube your chain. I never see this recommended, but it makes motor work easier, quieter, and sprockets last longer.
OK, If I got anything wrong, please correct me, my memory has never been fantastic.
Nice write up. There are still 2 different augers. One fore the new style Ultra open feeder and one for the old style closed type feeder, I think the old style has the slot so it will fit the PC45.
I would not be afraid of the new boards. They have some nice improvements in my opinion. They have an off detent and the initial ignition is much nicer. The initial charge is reduced a bit then pulses some fuel in as igniter is heating up to make a softer ignition. The old board give a full charge and if stove is a little dirty it takes excessive time to light and can give a delayed boom ignition. It ramps the stove up a little slower instead of having an inferno at start up.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Nice write up. There are still 2 different augers. One fore the new style Ultra open feeder and one for the old style closed type feeder, I think the old style has the slot so it will fit the PC45.
I would not be afraid of the new boards. They have some nice improvements in my opinion. They have an off detent and the initial ignition is much nicer. The initial charge is reduced a bit then pulses some fuel in as igniter is heating up to make a softer ignition. The old board give a full charge and if stove is a little dirty it takes excessive time to light and can give a delayed boom ignition. It ramps the stove up a little slower instead of having an inferno at start up.
Ya,I did not say it right, there was 2 different augers for the early style feeder, one for the newer feeder, but now only one for the early.

Reactions: rickwai
Hello. My board was giving a 3 blink code. Did a thorough clean. The store gave me a red wire ESP replacement. They did not have the black wire ESP available. Told me to adjust the dip switches.
I pulled the board out. There are no dip switches on the board. Has anyone heard of this? Is there a work around? I presume I cannot just plug the red wire in to this board... Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Hello. My board was giving a 3 blink code. Did a thorough clean. The store gave me a red wire ESP replacement. They did not have the black wire ESP available. Told me to adjust the dip switches.
I pulled the board out. There are no dip switches on the board. Has anyone heard of this? Is there a work around? I presume I cannot just plug the red wire in to this board... Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum…Start a new thread with a photo of your board and you’ll get a bunch of help!